Fragrance trends for the fall/winter?

summerbug

Just curious what everyone considers to be the fragrance trends this fall/winter?

Some research I did suggests berries and natural fragrances will still carryover from summer and baking scents like chocolate and creme brulee's will be a hit.

Fragrance is such a personal choice I don't know what to carry!!!

I know what you mean, just remember you can't make everyone happy. It will not matter if you carry 250 FO's there will always be one that you will not have that someone wants. Anyway - back to your question, I have decided to sell the following this year: Apple Jack & Peel, Blueberry Muffin (just because it is my #1 seller) Cinnamon Balsam, Cinnamon, Creme Brulee, Mulberry, Peppermint, Pomegranate, Spruce Christmas Tree, Sugar Cooke, Pumpkin Crunch and Warm Apple Pie. I am not even looking back, that's it. I feel like that is a good variety. Hope this helps you!!!

You know I have discovered that what the big companies sell for the season can have a direct effect on what is 'in' for the season.

I still stick to traditional seasonal scents but I also check out the Hallmark shop or the Body Shop to find out what they have for the season and ask what is selling like hot cakes.

But you also really you need to know your customer base and what they like. I just think there are several factors involved and the more you know the better your sales will be.

Having said that I always carry cinnamon, balsam, apple, pumpkin, and vanilla types. There will always be people who want the traditional fragrances year after year.

I always do good with baked bread, hazelnut, vanillas, and spice fragrances too.

I'm trying creme brulee this year - omg it smells wonderful!!

My biggest issue is trying to please everyone - I need to just make my decision and stick with it as Marcus Daniel stated!

Has anyone had luck with selling chocolate fragrances? I may add one just to see!

I was reading at Wholesale Supplies Plus that the professionally published fragrance trend reports have not been accurate.

They were saying that last year the "destination" FO's, ie. Med. Fig, Caribbean Rain, Haitian Vanilla, etc., were supposed to be all the rage, but they didn't fair as well. They saw Yankee Candle had all their "destination" FO's on closeout.

Their personal observation shows what is working:

• Personal care: Ambers, fruits and florals - Blackberry Amber, Sexy Sandalwood, Citrus, Amber, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Midnight Pomegranate, Georgia Peach, Cotton Blossom, Jasmine Vanilla, Red Currant and Thyme
  • Bakery scents are crossing over for candles - Pumpkin Crunch, Lemon Sugar, Creme Brulee
  • Natural aromas that compliment natural soy wax - Essential Oil Blends

They suggest looking here for color trends:

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/paint_colors/color_trends/2008/quiz/index.jsp

I took the test, twice, and came out as "Around the World".

HOME FRAGRANCE TRENDS FOR 2008

The evolution of home fragrance trends continues, offering consumers new choices to stimulate their senses. Monarch Fragrances invites you to experience the difference that creativity and attention to detail makes. Elevate your senses with fragrances that make a statement.

FLORALS:

In 2008, Spring and Summer floral home fragrances envelop the senses with elegant varieties of exotic and classic flowers. Although dominated by white florals, we will find a riot of big, bright flowers in this category as well. Multi floral selections continue in the trend of paired combinations. Colorful exotic flowers and shimmering classic white florals will dominate the scene. Fall and Winter floral home fragrances sparkle with sophisticated new accents while new dimensions are achieved with rich undertones. Retro winter flowers enjoy a revival, making an appearance as fresh new themes.

FRUITS:

The trend towards exotic fruit scents will continue in Spring and Summer of 2008, but we will also reclaim many classic fruit themes. Fragrances will feature fresh new tropicals, often used in combination with more traditional fruits. Novelty twists will accent classic fruit themes while citrus combinations continue their popularity. For the Fall and Winter fruit fragrances will maintain their position as one of the dominant areas for new home fragrance themes. Orchid fruit and berries appear alone or combined with notes of spice, mint, wood or gourmand accents. Pomegranate, apple, plum and fig maintain a strong position as core fruit notes.

GOURMAND:

The popularity of Gourmand fragrances continues in 2008. Spring and Summer will feature new varieties of vanilla and chocolate with variations that combine nuances of fruits, nuts or spices with creamy tones of vanilla, chocolate or white chocolate. Beverages continue to inspire home fragrances, with a strong emphasis on tea and fruit tea. The biggest movement will be in fruit and bakery scents, where we will notice fragrances that are less complex, easily identifiable and yummy sweet. Fall and Winter gourmand home fragrances use vanilla as an anchor in the category, with newness being generated by combinations of vanilla with fruit and spice tones. Warm spicy baked desserts create tantalizing themes and nuts combine with all gourmand treats for new sensory appeal.

FANTASY:

A new palette of complex scents evolves for fantasy home fragrance themes in Spring and Summer of 2008. Fabric continues as inspiration with exotic textures joining traditional linen and cotton themes. Wind, water, air and rain inspire fresh outdoors fragrances to lift the senses. Floral and fruity floral blends will prevail, with luxurious harmonies representing gems and precious metal to create more exotic themes. For Fall and Winter nature will provide inspiration for a myriad of themes based on the elements. Warm blends of woody, spicy and fruity tones remain a staple in the category, with precious undertones of amber, incense and musk creating drama.

BOTANICAL:

The trend towards organic and naturals drives home fragrance themes in 2008. Spring and Summer themes feature earthy essential oils that inspire new blends, with patchouli, vetivert, sage and ginger appearing alone or combined with other ingredients. Seaside themes will go botanical, as grasses, reeds and minerals create soothing sensations to pleasure the senses. Fall and Winter botanical home fragrances retain a traditional position. Evergreen, pine, spruce and fir continue as staples in the category, and newness is achieved through the use of dramatic undertones that provide depth and warmth to these notes. Native woods inspire new woodland themes for elegant style and contemporary appeal. Other traditional botanicals such as holly, bayberry and juniper are freshened with new accents to create sensory delight.

http://www.monarchfragrances.com/whatsnew.htm