Test Burning Pillars

I am making small pillars 2in x 3 1/2 in using ecosoya pillar wax 1oz of FO per pound and a cdn 8 wick. My question is when you burn a pillar is it supose to burn with or without dripping wax down the side of it?:confused: So far it has been burning pretty good except I got a small crack on the side from the heat and the wax dripped out of it and down the side. Is it supose to do do that. Any help would be greatley appacriated. Thanks Regina

I didn't perfect them (making it clear before I type the rest out).

Any wax out the sides in any shape, whether it be melting from the top, or a blow out the side, etc. is a big NO NO.

The "perfect" burn is one that leaves enough around the edges to contain with no flimsiness, and when hugged properly will consume down evenly over into the melt pool.

IMO it goes for all pillars they shouldn't spill over or have a blow out. I finally have mine perfected to leave a very thin shell. Most of them I don't even have to hug it consumes itself as it burns down. I use just plain old Hobby Lobby paraffin. On the 2" pillars I used an LX wick can't remember which size right off hand I would have to dig out the wicks to find out.

IMO it goes for all pillars they shouldn't spill over or have a blow out. I finally have mine perfected to leave a very thin shell. Most of them I don't even have to hug it consumes itself as it burns down. I use just plain old Hobby Lobby paraffin. On the 2" pillars I used an LX wick can't remember which size right off hand I would have to dig out the wicks to find out.

Thanks for the info I ordered some LX wicks I think a 14 and 16 gonna test them when I get them. I have seen quite a few people say they use the LX Thanks Regina

another wick type to consider for 2" pillars is TL. They are meant for tealights but they also work for small pillars.

2" pillars are hard to wick, especially with vegetable wax. I switched to paraffin after many tries with veg wax. I save the ecosoya for 3" pillars.

I peeked over at the NGI website to see if I saw anything there about cracking... I didn't see anything specific except they said that if the candle was wicked too high, it might cause "guttering", which sounded similar to cracking... they recommend waiting 48 hours before burning... do you think that might have been a factor? Maybe if the candle had hardened more it might have also been a little stronger and more resistant to cracking... You could always Ask Dr. Al... Your wicking might be fine, but with the crack, ya can't really tell...:undecided

Me, I'd remelt it and try again. :D