Preheating jars

Hey everyone,

Got another newbie question. I'm hopefully going to be pouring my candles today (yay!) But silly me, I wicked my containers yesterday before I realized that for better glass adhesion, I should put them in a warm oven for 10mins (right?) My question is, will my glue under my wick tab melt again and mess up my wick? And will the wax coating on the wick melt? Silly questions I know, but any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!

i think ........ 10 minutes is to long ..... i've never preheated .. because of the same questions you asked .. i just kept them in the warmest room of the house which is my basement lol

maybe try just 2 minutes .. you just need them warm .. not baked :laugh2: sorry .. couldnt resist :laugh2:

When I was using J50, I always preheated my jars in my double oven. Would set the temp to the lowest (170 deg) and left them in there until I was ready to wick and pour. Worked out just fine. But then, I had learned in all my research (in 2000) that everyone was saying "pour into preheated jars", so I did.

Then I realized pouring into a room temp jar did just fine too! LOL

Now I use 6006 and do not heat my jars.

HTH

Carrie

When I was using J50, I always preheated my jars in my double oven. Would set the temp to the lowest (170 deg) and left them in there until I was ready to wick and pour. Worked out just fine. But then, I had learned in all my research (in 2000) that everyone was saying "pour into preheated jars", so I did.

Then I realized pouring into a room temp jar did just fine too! LOL

Now I use 6006 and do not heat my jars.

HTH

Carrie

YEP! I starting laughing too when I found out! :laugh2:

I also used to pre heat my jars. i accidently wicked my jars before heating it up and the wax on my wick did melt a little, but still usable. the glue dots did not melt. Now i just keep my candles at room temp. and pour. seems to be working for me so far. good luck and have fun!:P

My question is, will my glue under my wick tab melt again and mess up my wick?
If it does, imagine what will happen when you burn the candle!

I can't speak to paraffin, don't know why it would help with that, but I have found that prewarming containers, especially in the winter, is beneficial to the brands of soy & palm container wax (and also for palm pillar wax) that I use. It isn't necessary for the containers to be hotter than the pouring temp - just warmer than room temp. A few minutes in the oven or under a heat gun will do just fine. :)

Your wicks will melt. All the wax covering will melt off the wick and it won't stand up so great. I warm jars in a turkey roaster set at about 125-150. does make a difference for me because the jars have a bit of dampness to them and getting a wick stuck down is difficult. Warming the jars dries them out and also gives me a better looking candle. Not as perfect as I'd like, but I'm past caring about wet spots.

To preheat or not to preheat, that is the question. If your wax/process makes a good candle without preheating, then it would be silly to do so. In my case, my formula performs better in a warm jar. When pouring my blend in a cool jar, the wax adhered to the wall of the jar initially, but as it cooled, it tore loose, causing a white looking crust, in spots, on the side if the candle. This required a heat gun to remelt the sides of the candle to remove it.

Using the jar warmers, I don't get the spots, so I use them.

My candles look good, have good hot and cold scent throw, and burn cleaner than any candle I ever seen, and my customers tell me they're the best they've ever burned, so I use my blend, and warm my jars, and consider myself lucky.

Fredron

I didn't want to bake my poor wick!

Sure, the coating melts a little - the jars shouldn't be sohot as to strip all the priming wax, nor should they be heated for so long that this happens. Even when I have remelted candles and the priming wax melted off, when I pour, the wax reprimes them. If I want the top part of the wick to be primed, all I have to do is dip it into the liquid wax, then insert it into the wick holder and let the candle cool. I have never noticed the slightest difference in the performance of a wick that lost its priming wax and ones that didn't. I use CDNs... perhaps this is different with other wick types...

I didn't want to bake my poor wick!

Sure, the coating melts a little - the jars shouldn't be sohot as to strip all the priming wax, nor should they be heated for so long that this happens. Even when I have remelted candles and the priming wax melted off, when I pour, the wax reprimes them. If I want the top part of the wick to be primed, all I have to do is dip it into the liquid wax, then insert it into the wick holder and let the candle cool. I have never noticed the slightest difference in the performance of a wick that lost its priming wax and ones that didn't. Never seems to be a problem when I use unprimed square braid in our "art" candles either...

Sure, the coating melts a little - the jars shouldn't be sohot as to strip all the priming wax, nor should they be heated for so long that this happens. Even when I have remelted candles and the priming wax melted off, when I pour, the wax reprimes them. If I want the top part of the wick to be primed, all I have to do is dip it into the liquid wax, then insert it into the wick holder and let the candle cool. I have never noticed the slightest difference in the performance of a wick that lost its priming wax and ones that didn't. Never seems to be a problem when I use unprimed square braid in our "art" candles either...

Thanks again Stella! :) My wicks seem to perform the same. I had to pull a wick out and put another in and when I used my "heatgun" to seal the wax around the wick, a bit of the priming melted off but it didnt seem to make a difference. Once the first burn was done, I dipped the wick and reprimed it, and it did just fine when it was relit :)

About 5 years ago, I would pre-heat my jars in the oven and that only took about 1 time of getting burned from the oven and then I went to the microwave. Did that for about 4 years and now I don't even pre-heat the jars anymore. Everyone gets wet spots, even the Big Boys. Honestly, before I made candles and just purchased them, I did notice the wet spots on the container (not knowing that is what they were called) since all the candles had that, I just thought that is normal. When the customers pick up the candle all they want to do is smell it. I have recently started using the coconut oil and I poured some candles over 3 weeks ago and I still do not have any wet spots yet!!! It's a Miracle!!!!!:yay: