To Lid or Not to Lid?

Skiminims

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section :confused:

I was just curious..those of you who sell, what sells better, or what do you carry that is more popular?

Jars with lids?

Container candles without a lid?

What are the advantages of container candles with lids or is it purely aesthetic?

IMO, lid. I think for me, I want my customers to be able to cover a candle if they choose too so when it's not in use, other dust/debris won't get inside. Glass jars, IMO again, need a lid. They don't look right without one.

Another thing to think about, if you make them up before and cart them around, lidless, they may get damaged or the wick can get yanked around.

I like using lids. The candles store better, some lids will even allow stacking. When a candle has a lid, it won't share fragrance with anything else, like the other candles in the same box! Even if I used a glass that had no lid, I would try to find some of those clear plastic ones to fit. I don't often use lids to extinguish candles - I dip the wick - but cutting off the O2 certainly does work! I just don't like the smoke produced... :)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is wick dipping? :confused::)

Wick dipping is extinguishing the flame of a candle by dipping the lit wick into the melt pool. By doing this there is no smoke and it primes the wick for the next burn.

Wick dippers are available by many suppliers but there are other alternatives as well. I have use wire cutters to make my own with old hangers, and when I am real lazy I used a butter knife or other metal household items :lipsrseal

LID ! lol .. i use lids to put out the wick .. just slap it on an the wick goes out no smoke to get in the air from blowing it out ... an yes i am that lazy i dont wick dip to put them out :laugh2:

Doesn't that give you a black burn on the inside of the lid? I've done that before and it totally ruined my lid. Hmmm, maybe I had extinquished it after a power burn. lol

Doesn't that give you a black burn on the inside of the lid?

Yep. This wipes off glass lids, but screws up canning jar lids.

and when I am real lazy I used a butter knife or other metal household items

...ummmm, you mean like nail files, a pencil that will never write again, a big nail, a palette knife...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

LOL I'm a visual learner, so I'm trying to envision how you dip a lit wick into the melt pool....do you tilt the wick with a knife into the MP or do you scoop up some hot wax and pour it on the wick? Is there a picture of this somewhere? :confused: :embarasse

I push the wick gently at or just below the liquid line until it dips into the wax, then straighten it. There is usually no smoke at all and the wick is primed for the next burn. When I'm ready to relight it, I just break the excess on the wick off or trim it with a wick trimmer and we're ready to rock & roll again. :)

One of my biggest sellers is a squarish container without the lid. At first, I was cutting out an insert to prevent dust and stuff but found it really wasn't needed. If for some reason, someone wants a better "hit" of the scent, I let them smell the same scent in a tin. I have a retail store so people tend to get fragrance overload and sometime think they do not smell the candles without the lid. Does that make sense? Even though that container does not have a lid, people love the style of it. I carry both obviously and I am currently looking into another container...with a lid :)

LOL I'm a visual learner, so I'm trying to envision how you dip a lit wick into the melt pool....do you tilt the wick with a knife into the MP or do you scoop up some hot wax and pour it on the wick? Is there a picture of this somewhere? :confused: :embarasse

Most people use a wick dipper to dip the wick. Its specifically made to dip the wick in the wax to extinquish the flame. Lots of suppliers carry them.

I have done both and using a lid seems to make the scent seem stronger when they go in for that first sniff. However when you are finally ready to start selling if that is your intentions, and you are displaying at a show, I find that most people like lids to be off so they just pick up and sniff. If my candles are lidded they walk on by "people can be so lazy sometimes."

I have done both and using a lid seems to make the scent seem stronger when they go in for that first sniff. However when you are finally ready to start selling if that is your intentions, and you are displaying at a show, I find that most people like lids to be off so they just pick up and sniff. If my candles are lidded they walk on by "people can be so lazy sometimes."

Haha ain't that the truth! ;)

I'd love to be able to sell some day. I'm just starting so that's a ways down the road for me. Right now I'm just seeing what works for some and what works for others then figure out my way from there :) Thanks for the input!