M&P additive question

pixisprkl

I recently made m&p coffee soap and I LOVE IT. I utilized "used" coffee grounds in it and I have bubbles and lather galore.

That being said.... it is the same recipe I have used with other m&p soap batches (base, oil, & beeswax) but I did not get the bubbles/lather that I got with the coffee soap.

So, did the scrubby coffee grounds produce this lather I love? And if so, what other type of "scrubby" stuff can I add to other batches.

Thanks for your help! :)

Thank you both for your reply's!

I have seen additive to purchase...but was not sure what their consistency would be.... less or more than coffee grounds.

I will probably try the cornmeal and chai tea 1st since I could get them at the store.....

Thanks again for the suggestions.

My daughter and I make a lot of MP soap w/ scrubby stuff in it.

Poppy seeds for lemon poppy

Lavender buds

Strawberry seeds

berry seeds

coffee grounds.

oatmeal ground

teas

sugar

jojoba beads

Heres a helpful hint

If your scrubbies sink to the bottom or float, as your soap cools slowly stir it. It will start to harden and the scrubbies will be through-out the soap instead of at the top or bottom It takes practice but heck you can remelt it if you dont like the look and try again. Just dont add fragrance till you know you can reproduce the look you like and wont have to remelt it. HTH

My daughter and I make a lot of MP soap w/ scrubby stuff in it.

Poppy seeds for lemon poppy

Lavender buds

Strawberry seeds

berry seeds

coffee grounds.

oatmeal ground

teas

sugar

jojoba beads

Heres a helpful hint

If your scrubbies sink to the bottom or float, as your soap cools slowly stir it. It will start to harden and the scrubbies will be through-out the soap instead of at the top or bottom It takes practice but heck you can remelt it if you dont like the look and try again. Just dont add fragrance till you know you can reproduce the look you like and wont have to remelt it. HTH

Thank you!

All of those sound neat to try... I am going to need to experiment more. Do you incorporate the lavender buds throughout the soap too?

And I had never thought of sugar..... is it a certain kind??

Now I have to ask...are you supposed to use "used" coffee grounds when you add coffee to soap or is it ok to use fresh. I'm glad this thread got started before I started using additives because my first one was going to be either coffee or tea.

We use organic sugar same stuff for sugar scrubs.

Lavender buds float so you can either let your soap solidify with the buds on the top so you have a mild srubby on one side and a smooth side that has just soap or you can stir them up until the buds are incorporated and stay put.

We use fresh coffee grounds. I would say though that if you are going to use used grounds to make sure they are dry. I would worry the wet ones may cause mold. Not sure about it but I wouldnt want to take the chance.

You can also try colendula and chamomile.

I have a different additives question: I've read up to 2 tablespoons of additives per lb of soap is a general rule (though I know some use more). Is FO considered an additive that you need to figure into this? Or is that just talking about things like coconut oil, castor oil, glycerin, jojoba, and things like that?

Darbla

Now I have to ask...are you supposed to use "used" coffee grounds when you add coffee to soap or is it ok to use fresh. I'm glad this thread got started before I started using additives because my first one was going to be either coffee or tea.

I use "used" coffee grounds. I have found different mp recipes that call for either or.

I think if you use fresh, you would not need to add fragrance :confused: With used, I added a vanilla latte fo....

It is a great soap though.... removes ANY smell.... hahaha

I've always used "used" coffee grounds because fresh grounds are VERY abrasive. The used grounds helped that problem quite a bit.

True... guess it depends on what you're aiming for. I make a super scrubby Mechanic's Soap and had one customer ask for custom bars with even more coffee grounds and pumice for her picky husband. He said it wasn't scrubby enough! :rolleyes2 Guess he doesn't want any skin on his hands ;)

True... guess it depends on what you're aiming for. I make a super scrubby Mechanic's Soap and had one customer ask for custom bars with even more coffee grounds and pumice for her picky husband. He said it wasn't scrubby enough! :rolleyes2 Guess he doesn't want any skin on his hands ;)

LOL.. and mechanics soap would be a pretty good reason to use fresh coffee grounds! Oh well.. who are we to get in the way of those who don't care for skin on their hands? ;)

I have a different additives question: I've read up to 2 tablespoons of additives per lb of soap is a general rule (though I know some use more). Is FO considered an additive that you need to figure into this? Or is that just talking about things like coconut oil, castor oil, glycerin, jojoba, and things like that?

Darbla

I don't include FO as an additive. :) Hope that helps!