Getting frustrated with wicks breaking off

I'm so irritated that everytime I trim my pillars lately the wicks break off very low. This happens whether I use wick trimmers, nail clippers, or scissors. I've been making candles for a few years now, and I don't remember this being such an issue before.

I end up having to pull out the wick and replace it with a new one so I can have it longer at the 1/4" it is supposed to be.

Anyone have any tips to avoid this? I know this is a kind of stupid post but it is just so frustrating.

I'm having the issue mostly with Fil-tec ultra cores and Hemps. I think what is different is that the other types of wicks have a curl and it is easier to take off some of the curl when the wick is cold than to take off some of the wick when it is straight up when it is cold.

I agree with staying with the same wick supplier, I learned that the hard way.

Ok stupid me was thinking you meant before it was ever burned! Was wondering how it would get too short! DUH...bad brain day?...seem to be having those lately. I actually have had the reverse problem, the flat wicks that bend seem to crack really low and then are hard to light. I have an old Clean Cut wick trimmer that has a little wick groove in the pan and it cuts soooo much better than the newer ones without the groove. It never breaks the wicks. Try a cuticle scissors if you have one, they are usually really sharp and have a curve. Might be difficult to get the scissors in as the pillar or container burns down past 1/2 way.

I am a fan of the footed wick trimmers, but just as often, I find myself reaching in and breaking it off with my fingertips. Have never had much trouble with them breaking off too shirt, but then again, I trim my wicks to 1/8" - 1/4".

Perhaps I'm not *getting it*, but I can't imagine one that breaks off so short it couldn't be lit and having to replace it... :confused: Any chance of a photo of one?

Some of the trimmers are not sharp so they actually cause the wick to break below the 1/4" dish...I've had it happen, and it seems to be more so with wicks that get too brittle after they are burned. I don't rewick, I just melt down the wax enough for the wick to light again. I wish all the trimmers had that little wick groove, it works so much better. It's frustrating when it happens so I can relate to Jeana's frustration here!

They do tend to break at exactly the 1/8" point. But I am trying to keep the standard 1/4" trim, so it is hard to know what to tell people if this happens to them with my candles. I'm not sure which I should be testing for the 1/4" cut or the 1/8" cut? I want to keep it consistant.

I feel I would have to wick up for the 1/8".

Basically, I want to stay with the 1/4", I'm happy with what I have going on. I just want to be able to achieve consistant results and they are not cooperating. I was hoping someone would have an idea I haven't thought of on dealing with brittle wicks.

I'm not sure which I should be testing for the 1/4" cut or the 1/8" cut? I want to keep it consistant.

I feel I would have to wick up for the 1/8"

When testing, it's a good thing to be consistent, but if a 1/8" difference in the trim of your wick throws everything off so much that you have to change the size of your wicks, there's something else wrong...

I agree, 1/8" should not make any difference as far as burn, I wouldn't wick up. My concern would be that the customer could not relight the wick. I use mostly cotton wicks and have bought them from several suppliers and they varied in quality. The lesser quality wicks are the ones that seemed to break off easily, but I have made thousands that don't do it so I know it has to be something with the wick. I'm only using 1 supplier for my wicks now. I used to buy them wherever I needed to place an order but there was too much inconsistency in the wick or the coating.