Colors Morphing in CP

Carol M

I've always done hot process, so I was used to 'what you see is what you get'. I've branched out into some cp now, and it's a whole different ballgame:rolleyes2 I did a batch over the weekend and used some green fd&c color; it turned purple.:( I thought a thread about how different colorants behave in cp might be helpful; wonder what color I should have used to end up with green? Is there a particular line of colors that stay more true, or does it depend upon the individual color? I see now that I probably need to invest in one of the more expensive colorant systems for use in cp, but don't really know which one to get.

Actually you will have that problem with FD&C colorants period. If you want your colors to stay true, use oxides and ultramarines. I think they're cheaper anyways and I use a whole lot less to achieve the same color (or at least what I was trying to achieve). HTH

April

PS. The green in my avitar is chrom. green oxide and black clay.

Thank you, April; the colors in your soap are lovely. I mostly have micas here, and I understand they are colored with fd&c, too, so they probably wouldn't work reliably. I do have a couple of oxides, a purple and a mustard yellow color. I'll find a scent that would "match" with those colors and try them out. Haven't tried any ultramarines at all yet, so I'll have to look into getting some. So, the colorant systems I see mentioned here sometimes: Select Shades, Peacock Colors, etc. don't always stay true either?

I have Select Shades too but got tired of guessing what color my soap might end up being. Many times a beautiful shade of gray....blech! I've never tried micas, I know several that use them (mainly golds, silvers, metallic colors) but the oxides and ultramaines are awesome because you can get so many different shades. I use a lot of green, blue and purple. Still use the SS occasionally.

April

I have Select Shades too but got tired of guessing what color my soap might end up being. Many times a beautiful shade of gray....blech! I've never tried micas, I know several that use them (mainly golds, silvers, metallic colors) but the oxides and ultramaines are awesome because you can get so many different shades. I use a lot of green, blue and purple. Still use the SS occasionally.

April

I'm tired of the guessing game too. I'm not using Select Shades but color that is supposed to do well in CP. Last night I made a batch that was supposed to be teal and it turned out purple. And I poured a ton of orange in another batch to make it vibrant and it was barely orange at all when it was finished.

I definitely get the best results with micas, ultramarines, and oxides. But they seem to be so limited, and they don't blend as well as liquids.

I would love to find a liquid that stays true.