Relief holes

Wondering if you poke relief holes after your first repour? I generally start poking relief holes around 45 mins after candle is poured and go back periodically to keep them open til I do my repour. Well I did a repour after candle had cooled for 3.5 hours then 45 minutes later went back and started poking again when I suddenly wondered why I was doing it? Any feedback would be useful. TIA.

Nope, not after the repour has started to set. I don't like doing a third pour...lol. Though I do sometimes poke around inside the relief holes just as soon as it's poured. If there happens to be a tiny pocket that didn't join the big ones, the hot wax helps it to release. I don't usually find anything, but like to be sure. Rarely, I have had a couple more small bubbles surface that way.

Ditto what Ducky said about poking something into the well right after pouring to make sure the molten wax works it way down. That's how I finally figured out that large relief holes were better than small ones.

I know what you mean about poking the relief holes after they start setting up. Oddly, I find it really easy to get into a poking rythem (sp?); once I start, I just want to keep poking & poking & .... :grin2:

Okay, okay, I hear ya' (and I like what I hear) - no more extra poking for me. LOL. Worked out why the compulsion started though - it's because I sometimes (usually) still have a bit of a sink hole when the candle finally cools, even after repouring. But I will kick the habit. Thanks everyone. :smiley2:

I have a problem with this hole (whole deal) I poke, poke and poke some more. The repour bubbles into the candle after it's completely cool and looks fine. BUT, the damn thing sometimes needs a third. Well sir (mam) I get out my mitre box and hack saw and cut the bugger square. Reason being, by this time I ani't got no mo wax for the third repour, and I am not gonna spend the rest of my life makin one candle.

You really can just let the candle set up then do a second pour. No need for three, hence no temptation to compulsively poke at your repour wax. :)

I actually do that when I remember, I was a compulsive poker at one time. It works great, just let the candle set up completely and then repour.

Reason being, by this time I ani't got no mo wax for the third repour, and I am not gonna spend the rest of my life makin one candle.

Tucker, where's your patience, man? Boy, if the Grand Order of the Secret Society of Chandlers find out about this I won't be responsible for the consequences. Better drop in for that coffee before its too late. Nice knowing you. Mozz :grin2:

I have a problem with this hole (whole deal) I poke, poke and poke some more. The repour bubbles into the candle after it's completely cool and looks fine. BUT, the damn thing sometimes needs a third. Well sir (mam) I get out my mitre box and hack saw and cut the bugger square. Reason being, by this time I ani't got no mo wax for the third repour, and I am not gonna spend the rest of my life makin one candle.
That only happens if the first pour isn't completely cooled or if the sink hole is especially deep. Technique can help with that. Use something thick to make the relief holes and keep them open. Skewers don't really cut it. Try something like a chopstick or you can go even thicker. That should help decrease the central sink hole from the first pour because some of the shrinkage happens in the relief holes instead. You could also try more holes if necessary. Then be sure the candle is completely cold before doing the second pour. You shouldn't get more than a little dimple at most.

I'm confused :undecided, so are you saying not to poke relief holes just do a repour? Please explain

No, that's not what it means. Mozzie was asking about poking relief holes after the repour so that a third pour would be necessary. This is in pillars. Pour the candle, let it cool enough to form a skin and poke the holes. Good sized holes, 3 or 4. Keep the holes open as it cools. Let it cool completely and make one repour. Unmold when cool.