Where is the cheapest place to buy tray molds?

netje

Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy tray molds with dividers? I have found a heavy duty plastic one that holds 64 oz and gives you 12 bars. This was $15 plus shipping.

Does anyone know where I might find one cheaper?

I have a bunch of these:

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/TrayMolds.html

The soap comes out scored so cutting is easy. But they can't go in the oven so getting your soap to gel completely may be tricky unless you have something like heated blanket you could put underneath. If you're looking for something which you can use daily, then I'd recommend something more heavy duty, more durable. I've had these several years but don't use them every day which is why they've lasted all this while.

Bramble Berry has a nice one for $69.00. I just got one and I really like it a lot. Has the dividers and lid and box. This was the most reasonable priced one I found. If you wipe the dividers down good with mineral oil and let them set a couple of days before using, it really helps with the soap sliding out when done.

netje - it really is worth your money to buy a good mold. A heavy duty plastic one really won't last long - especially if doing HP or CP soap. It will be very difficult to find a good quality mold like you want for $15.00. You will get what you pay for KWIM? But in the mean time, you can improvise with all kinds of things to make your own mold. Some of the things you may have around your house that you can use are old drawers, boxes, Pringles cans. They won't have dividers but can be used in a pinch.

Or if you are handy, you could make one from wood - either a log or a slab.

I wasn't aware of the difference (between tray and slab) either. :embarasse I've been calling them tray molds because I got mine from MMS and that's what they call them.
I didn't mean to sound like I was "correcting" her, I was just trying to give another option for searching since a lot of information would be in threads calling them slab molds. Guess I should have stated it differently.

Bramble Berry has a nice one for $69.00. I just got one and I really like it a lot. Has the dividers and lid and box. This was the most reasonable priced one I found. If you wipe the dividers down good with mineral oil and let them set a couple of days before using, it really helps with the soap sliding out when done.

I wondered how well these worked...I've been eyeing them up for a while now.

tootie

Gosh - that is an expensive Bionicle sorting tray.

Why have you never tried them? Are they bad or something? Maybe I should have ordered it. BUT - I am only going to use it for whipped soap so I think it will work.

I'll let you know when I get it how it works.

If only for whipped soap I think they will be fine - they didn't seem substantial enough for regular CP (and I do maybe 2 whipped batches a year). But I am indeed curious. I can always snatch them back!

And I didn't exactly give the molds to him LOL.

Isn't Terry's site GREAT?!

CB is mold ho doncha know? :P Most of us can live vicariously through her when it comes to molds. Some folks are fo ho (aren't we all? LOL). Some are mold HOs (don't we all want to be?). Some are both. Hmmmmm, CB may be both. :laugh2:I would love to be a mold ho too. There are quite a few that I would love to try. So I'm mold Ho in training. :grin2:

I've looked at these molds before so I'd love to hear any feedback on them. They look nice!!

I had to give up on the FO-ho status. But I'll always appreciate good equipment ;)

I have one (or more) of almost every kind of mold.

The molds from Nizzy look like craft boxes truly - like the kind you get to keep your different embroidery colors separated or something. Very think plastic and the dividers are not tight at all. Fine for whipped, not sure about CP.

Now Im thinking I WILL steal one back to see what happens in CP.

If only for whipped soap I think they will be fine - they didn't seem substantial enough for regular CP (and I do maybe 2 whipped batches a year). But I am indeed curious. I can always snatch them back!

And I didn't exactly give the molds to him LOL.

Isn't Terry's site GREAT?!

Oops, you posted as I was typing so I did not see your review.

I made whipped soap 2x using the directions from there. It was fun but took too much time. I'd still like to try it again.

Meredith - you are so funny. I guess I'm a mold ho too.

This is my first slab tray mold with dividers, so I am very curious how it works too.

Carebear - YES YES YES - love Nizzy's site! Tried my first batch of whipped soap and I think I am hooked for life! I love doing it this way - give so much creativity. Only probiem is that you can't hardly cut it with a knife, so that's why I ordered the mold.