on-line order?

LynnS

How can you get a order, all goes through and no payment. This happened to me. If I even leave my CC number or even my address off it comes back "it cannot be completed and tells me what I need to finish/fill out". I have a name, address, phone(I haven't called it yet) and a e-mail that was 1 letter off so it comes back. I have no idea why it all is fine but when I went to Pay Pal no payment.

I will check again for payment but it wasn't there. Order came through as if payment was made. Never had this happen.

Any ideas/help. Guess it can happen because it did.Not a big order thank goodness.

Thank You,

LynnS

So if a competitor they are wanting the order sent to get candles for FREE to see how good or bad they are????

The e-mail was a work one. Seems legit.Customer works for a company and their e-mail is through where they work.

I agree it went through and they MIGHT have changed their mind but the e-mail was slightly off one letter and then I wondered.WHY does this keep coming back????

Wasn't real big.A couple candles so I sent it. My problem. I should have called if the phone number is right.

Recently I did have a candlemaker inquire about wholesale.I sent the info.It was request on my wholesale page. I don't question. 2 of my customers now are former candlemakers. With time and money easier to order from me.

LynnS

no it's doubtful they expected something for nothing - they didn't expect anything to be sent on an incomplete order. either they wanted to see just how your site worked. or someone wanted stuff but changed their mind.

so you sent the candles to someone who didn't pay? that was certainly generous. how do you know even the address was real?

they didn't expect anything to be sent on an incomplete order. either they wanted to see just how your site worked. or someone wanted stuff but changed their mind.

Yes, that is what I meant.

My site works the same way - if someone goes until the very last step and stops just before inputting their credit card number, the shopping cart will have recorded their information. The way I tell this is not a genuine order is that no payment came through.

Lynn, I wouldn't have sent that order. I don't know who your website/shopping cart provider is, but a lot of shopping carts will send an order even if there is no payment. That is what happens after one gets to a certain point in the checkout process. The only way to tell if the order is legit is to check to see if payment has been made, which in your case it hadn't. It happens a lot when people are just kind of browsing around shopping and then change their minds at the last minute.

If you want to you could call the phone number to be sure, but I probably wouldn't even do that as this is something that happens a lot with certain shopping carts, and while it's a bummer because it can get your hopes up, there's really not much you can do about it.

The shopping cart will have recorded their information. The way I tell this is not a genuine order is that no payment came through.

My site is set up that the order won't go thru until I have all the credit card information.

Maybe you can set yours up that way??

If it is like the set up I have or if I understand your situation correctly, it is a two step process. They complete the order on your website and your site will send them an invoice -- the invoice is not an invoice of payment. They then have to complete their payment through whichever payment merchant you have. Look closely on your order invoice, it should state that it is not an invoice of payment received. I have had this happen before. I emailed the customer to make sure if they still wanted to order and let her know that I had not yet received payment. She said yes, but somehow messed up during the payment process. She ended up being a friend of a friend, so she is just going to write me a check to give to my friend to give to me when I give my friend her candles. I definitely would not send an order until the payment process has been completed. I would definitely call them. Good luck with it.

My site is set up that the order won't go thru until I have all the credit card information.

Maybe you can set yours up that way??

What cart are you using, IslandGirl? I use Mal's and wasn't aware you could have it not record anything until payment has been completed. It's not a problem for me, because all it takes is for me to match the orders with the payments to see which are the genuine orders.

I use mal's.

Go to mals and under payment options and check the box that says...

*Collect card verification number and make it required input.

Check that off and then customers will have to enter the CC# for orders to come thru...

HTH

I know with OS Commerce at least there is a little glitch that if the person doesn't hit the Return to Merchant button after submitting payment information then the order never really completes. My husband (webmaster extraordanaire) added in some code to prevent that and code to capture the information just in case the transaction goes awry.

I just checked and it doesn't say notification of payment received. When I wasn't sure about it(when e-mail came back 3 times) I did go to my pay pal account and no activity for the week. I am trying to get backbone to call and see if it really is a change and decided not to order. Sent the order 2 weeks ago and not back yet. Guess address was legit.

I am pretty much saying a loss. Looked at the e-mail and it had 1 letter different than the person's name.The name and e-mail was the pretty much the same but 1 different letter. Just to throw it off.

I should have called, asked if she ordered and then changed her mind. Then tell her I was just checking to be sure.

This was a week of a show and I had 2 days to get it out plus get ready for my show.I didn' want to wait 4 more days for a small order and really not much time to do anything.

Guess I should have ignored it.

LynnS

What cart are you using, IslandGirl? I use Mal's and wasn't aware you could have it not record anything until payment has been completed. It's not a problem for me, because all it takes is for me to match the orders with the payments to see which are the genuine orders.

Mal's here and every now and then I will get an order with no payment, the customer failed to complete the process so I forget about it.

How many times have you added items to a cart, filled in the info and stopped just before making the order final? I know that I've done that many times.

e

I get those quite often actually. People put items in the cart and go thru the process checking on the shipping I'm sure. They change their mind, and "x" out of your website or go somewhere else.

Mal's will still send me an email with an order. First thing I do is to go www.mals-e.com and see if the order hit the cart, if it's not there, it just wasn't meant to be.

I delete, and go on about my business.

I use to check up on these people, but they won't respond anyway....

Carrie