Bath Bomb Receipe question

Debk

I found this nice bath bomb receipe and I am going to try it today. It is by Bri and found in the archives. I see where she usues castor oil with other oil. I was wondering if this would give good bubbles and would not have to use slsa?

Re: Any Full-Proof Bath Bomb Recipes???

« Reply #24 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 11:36am »quote.gif Quote modify.gif Modify

Here's the recipe I use...modified from KB.

Combine 2 cups baking soda, 1 1/3 cups citric acid, and 1 cup cornstarch in a mixing bowl.

In a small jar (I use an 8oz jelly jar), Combine 1/3 cup oil, 1 1/4 T. Essential Oil (1/2 T. extra if using FO), 2 T. water, and 1/2 tsp. Borax. I think the borax helps mix the water and oils.

Add desired colorant to the wet mixture, cover and shake well. The color will be much more muted when added to the dry mixture, so plan accordingly.

SLOWLY add the wet mix to the dry mix, whipping with a wisk as you go. If mixture starts to fizz, you are not whipping fast enough or pouring too fast!

Once incorporated, use bath bomb press or ornament mold to scoop up mixture. Pack it in tight!

Tap on hard surface, and release from press. Let the bombs sit on paper bags overnight, then package 'em up!

Houston Changes

Due to the humidity here, I made two changes to the recipe.

1. I use 50/50 mixture of Castor Oil and another oil. Castor Oil is the miracle worker of bath bombs, imho!

2. I pre-heat the oven to 180. I turn off the oven, and place the finished bombs in the oven for 30 minutes. This greatly helps in drying out the bombs.

I may be way off base here but I don't think castor or any other oil will give you bubbles if it's not saponified (is that a real word...lol?) with the lye.

It may be added in to help hold them together and shoo the warts away. :confused:

I add it to soaps for bubbles so I thought it might. I will add slsa then with it. That is good that it will help hold it together better and help with warts. Worth a try. Thanks.

I almost got some soap shavings in the swap. I guess I could use my own from my batches

If you try it, let me know. If I try it, I'll let you know. I did recently put soap shavings in a salt and oats scrub bar to see if it would give it any lather. It did not, but, it did seem like it helped to make the bar last longer.

Mine just lost their shape, outside was dry, inside was oozing out. I just make them, put them on a covered mongo pizza pan, stick a little air on them, turn 1/2 a day later or sometimes 4 hours later and let sit till they don't feel wet/damp to my touch. Sometimes I knock them off the table to make sure they don't break either. :rolleyes2

I wonder if there is something in this bamb bomb receipe that keeps it from doing that. Sounds like it is better to just leave them outl. Do you ever spritz them once in a while