Lip Balm Sweetener

pamperme

What is a substitue that can be used other than SuperSweet?

The supplier I order from is out and I want to try a recipe ASAP. Is there anything that can be purchased in a grocery store that can be used?

This is my first Lip product experience...and yes if it works out and tests well I will be selling it so this is not something that 'if you are only using it for yourself use this' will work.

I will post results if it works out...or even it doesn't so you know what 'Not' to do. LOL

No sweetener here, either. I was a bit apprehensive about only using the flavor oil, but I found that most of my regulars prefer no sweetener for the reason Carrie mentioned above.

I don't know about powdered sugar. Wouldn't hurt to try in a small batch. The reason they suggest stevia (i'm not sure what super sweet is) is because it doesn't take much to get a lot of sweetness. It has a tendency to be bitter if too much is used however.

I use powdered stevia in a little bit of oil to help it mix in with your base. Most liquid stevia contains glycerin and is super hard to get it to stay mixed in your balm. This has just been my experience(s) though. HTH

Thanks all.

I did try something last night. The whole point of the sweetener is for a lip scrub ...I did not want it to be soapy or lotion like as it is on the lips and you will end up tasting it.

I mixed white sugar with soybean oil and the coffee flavorings you get at grocery store since all the ingredients were things you would find in bath & body and were natural(trying to keep it more natural). It did scrub my lips BUT left what felt like nothing good behind other than the exfoliation. Which in turn is kind of drying. I need to add something good for more moisture. Maybe I should have used Sunflower oil instead? More vitamin E and such.

Any opinions?

It needs something...that is for sure. My lips felt dry ...polished but very dry afterwards. NOT what I was after.:sad2:

Maybe I should make it more of a cream instead of an oily one. :confused:

Beeswax maybe...some glycerin...or shea butter.

Going to start over.