Can you advise me? "Restoring" old candles.

:confused: I'm hoping someone might tell me how to "restore" some old beeswax candles, circa 1948. Once-white, the 12" tapers were used briefly during grandmother's wedding, then put in storage. Granddaughter's wedding is coming up (in June!! We're in a panic!). We were hoping to use--maybe even briefly burn--the candles once again. But the old wax is discolored dark yellow in many spots. Any ideas about how the candles might be whitened again . . . or re-dipped . . or coated?? If all else fails, I might try a colored applique to camouflage. I have zero candlemaking experience, but will be glad to try any helpful hints. Thanks very much for reading this post and for any suggestions you might offer!

Barb, a.k.a., mother of the bride

barbtp@epix.net

I don't know if the yellow would show through if you dipped them in white beeswax and you'd need quite a bit and a tall pot of some sort. Another thing you may try is buying a couple white beeswax sheets and rolling them tightly around the tapers. You wouldn't need to use the whole sheet, just enough to cover it. I also don't know how they would burn, but for the short time you need them at the church, they would probably be fine. Good luck!! :cool2:

Could you make new candles with them? that is do you have any molds and wick? If so, just remelt the wax and pour new candles, or pour wax into votive size jars with appropriate wick and burn those. Beeswax lasts indefinately

Could you make new candles with them? that is do you have any molds and wick? If so, just remelt the wax and pour new candles, or pour wax into votive size jars with appropriate wick and burn those. Beeswax lasts indefinately

Thanks for the suggestion! I may try the votive approach if re-wrapping doesn't do the trick.

Thank you for your help.

barbtp

Well if it was me and being they are the original candles from Grama's wedding 60 years ago, I would leave them exactly how they are, burn them at the service, then pack them and put them away in a hope chest for hopefully my daughters wedding etc...I wouldn't do anything else to them to 'restore' them. They are a treasured heirloom so to speak, the aged yellow spots would make them more beautiful to me! That's just my opinion tho!

Well if it was me and being they are the original candles from Grama's wedding 60 years ago, I would leave them exactly how they are, burn them at the service, then pack them and put them away in a hope chest for hopefully my daughters wedding etc...I wouldn't do anything else to them to 'restore' them. They are a treasured heirloom so to speak, the aged yellow spots would make them more beautiful to me! That's just my opinion tho!

I agree. If you want shiny bright white like new, buy new. If you want them for the treasure they are, I'd display them as heirlooms. Maybe use a floral candle ring around them with mixed white and cream colored flowers to help the color blend into the wedding colors, if it's mainly white.