.... and now for containers!

My dear candlemaking friends.....

I have had so much fun making and testing pillars and votives, and have decided to try my hand at containers, specifically 8oz jelly jars, as they seem popular. Obviously, this is going to involve a lot of testing and hair-pulling, and I'm prepared. As with the pillars and votives, the advice and knowledge gained from you experienced chandlers, is much valued. I now ask for the same feedback on the containers......

This is where I intend to start my testing: 8oz jelly jars made with J50 or J233 (have not decided which yet), LX-18 or 44-32-18Z wick, FO and dye. What do you think? This is a totally new ballgame for me, so your opinions are very valuable......

Thank you in advance........

Hi! I think that you are picking some great waxes to try. I have used both at one time or another and was very happy with cold and hot throw. I got lots of wet spots with the J223 but doing containers you will learn to embrace them. The customers will not notice or complain but they will drive you crazy!:tongue2: I can't help you with the wicking as it has been a long time since I have wicked these jars, but I am sure someone will come along and give their input on that.

Good luck and let us know how the testing goes!

I use J50 wax, 8oz jj's and 44z wicks. I have had good luck with this and would recommend it. I have not used J223 only because I get the J50 locally and don't have to pay for shipping. If you have to wick up for heavier fo's the 51z will most likely do the trick. As far as FO goes, 1 oz to 1-1/4 oz usually is more than enough...HTH :highfive:

I use J50 with zinc wicks. The 44 works for most all my FOs in the regular JJ. I tried LX wicks, but they gave off as much soot as zincs, just no mushroom. I like the zincs better. I also loved the throw with 4627, but it was a little messy and more difficult to wick than J50.