FO Good deal or pass it up?

I am just getting started in making candles and I know someone that is near me that use to make candles. Due to health reasons she is selling out. She has 429 ounces of FO. She purchased them from Alabaster, Candles and Supplies, Gelluminations, and the Candlemaker's Store. She said they were purchased right before Christmas. She is wanting .50 an ounce for it.

Is this a good deal? I am unsure of what scents she actually has, she is just wanting to sell them as a lot. Since I am just starting out I of course have not had samples of these companies. What are your opinions on these suppliers?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

Sounds like an awful lot of money to spend on FO if you are just getting started. Peak's sells a sample pack of 10 1-ounce bottles for just under $20.00. I started out with a couple of these, then graduated to 4 oz bottles, now I'm up to 8 oz bottles. It is very easy to go overboard when you start out. Also consider that you want to create a sustainable product-something you can readily reproduce. Search this board, pick out recommended suppliers that are close to you to save on shipping, and get their samplers. I think this is too much FO and too much money-JMHO.

For over $200 you can pick and choose FOs that you like and want to test. I'd pass on the deal if it has to be as a lot. I think you will find that they are just "ok" suppliers, there are better and there are worse.

I agaree that is sounds like a lot of money. A lot of companies when you buy product from them they include a free 1oz FO with the order. I would pick some good scents with a good supplier and order from them.

Rae

I don't think it sounds like a lot of money. I would check out what she has. If she lives near, you save on shipping. If she has all the major FO's that people are interested in and you are set on making it a go - it's a good deal.

I'd check and see how she stored everything and how she took care of it. If she put them out in the hot garage - I'd forget about it.

It's a waste of money only if the FO's were poorly stored, IMO.

I bought out a candlemaker for 500. one time. I sure got a deal. I don't know how many lbs I got, plus jars, wicks, color, everything. It was like Christmas. I used alot of them that I would never had ordered otherwise. Go for it. You can always blend scents to make something cool. Check the age of the bottles first. :yay:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am going to pass on it this time. Maybe down the road if something like this presents itself I will jump on it. My DH was not really wanting to shell that out right now either so it is best.

I already have 14 or 15 different scents that I got from LS that I need to test and such so I will just stick to what I have and spend the money elsewhere.

On another note I did snag 150 votive molds for $35.00!! It will probably be a LONG time before I use that many at once, but I could always seperate and sell some on Ebay :)