About to scream or pull my hair out

I still have a ton of inventory left from the rustic store and what I had on inventory prior to that. Was planning on moving some at craft shows in April and May but after a car accident in April I'm out of the craft show ring until at least July. Start PT next week. Anyway, I've done the donations, ebay, etsy, craigslist and even reduced pricing on my website without any luck. I suppose it's just the economy but I seriously dont' have room for all these candles anymore. I was even doing a buy one candle get something free just to move some of my votives. I only make to order right now and have used some of my stock that way but I'm still about ready to scream everytime I look at what is just sitting there. My aroma ornies have moved for me quickly both from my website and word of mouth but the rest it seems will sit here forever. I'm even offering them at shows for a little above my wholesale price just to move them. But now of course shows are out of the question. Anyway, just had to vent as I'm trying to clean out my candle room and get rid of stuff I'm no longer using. (I can't seem to get to what I'm not using because there's so much inventory in the way.......sigh).

I feel for ya! i am seriously downsizing my line until I see what is going to be selling in the next few months. Most of my items are under $10 (my melt warmers were a bit higher, but I lowered them to get rid of them). My JJ candles are 3 for $18.

I am having a home party in June, so hopefully people will like the Cash and Carry stuff so I don't have to bring as much home. Things are so slow.

Steph

I don't think you are going to find to many business people who aren't saying things are slow right now. I actually wonder if you are missing many sales being out of the craft shows this season-spring & summer shows are notoriously much slower anyway not to mention the economy this year. I did a small Mother's Day show (thankfully a free show my friend runs) and it was really slow. Barely did 1/3 the business we did last Oct. at the same place. My friends family does food that is always a sell out (some things were gone by 11 am last fall) and they had lots of left overs this year. I really think the only thing to do now is try to ride it out and hope that a change in politics with a new administration will turn things around. I really feel for all the small business people struggling right now and am so sorry when I see another chandler or soapers inventory in the classies due to "going out of business". Steph, hang in there!!

Glo

Could you possibly do an open house? A friend of mine did one and on her invitation stated bring a friend receive a gift. She had a pretty good turnout and was able to reduce her stock considerably. Which was great because we live in a pretty rural community.

Will you be able to do shows starting in Fall? You should sell your candles and stock by then. In the meantime I second looking into home shows or fundraisers. I have made more with fundraising than at spring shows this year. Show sales have been slow.

As a friend to host a candle party and market it as "excess inventory" or "clearance" and let them know there is a reduction in price. People will buy stuff like that when they think they are getting a good deal.

I agree shows are slow. Did my first spring one last week and everyone was so unhappy. Not one person did good.I did 2 1/2 times less this year than last. I was expecting things to be slow but not that slow.

I did sign up for another show about 15 minutes from that town for a July 4 celebration. I know it is going to be slow but this is honoring veterans, car show etc. I can take only 6 hours than 2 days and 16 hours.Long show when almost no customers.

Soon I am going to set up at our Art Center. Pay my dues and I just have to work 1 day a month in the craft area.I can take that and things are going on there all the time.In fact starting this month and for a few weeks art shows weekly.

I do have 1 customer who buys alot and if I need to I might just tell her what I have and give it to her cheaper than the wholesale she gets from me now.

LynnS

Hi there.

I feel ya too. I had a show over the weekend and was trying to move older stock out and finally started giving a free product with any purchase and it worked. I too am reducing my product line to only my best sellers and custom orders. I like the fundraiser idea too.

I feel for you too. It is so slow in Michigan right now that I am lucky if I make $50 at any of my shows right now. I gave up on the Farmers Market because it is so far away and well, I was tired of ending up in the red each time I went.

Hang in there. Hopefully it will get better!