Using 1 supplier for all my candle needs..dumb or what??

Question/Dilemma:

Just got an email from a Texas Candle supplier stating that their wax is going up $2.85 per case. I don't buy my wax from them, but still it's a sign of the times everywhere. This got me to seriously thinking:embarasse

I have been thinking about doing 95% of my business with the supplier that is within 50 miles of my house. BCS. I currently offer scents from a variety of suppliers, actually maybe 5 or more. With shipping rates up it's just too much of a burden on my costs to keep buying from them.

I currently get my wax from BCS and was looking at their scent selection and figure I may just make their FO's my line. Not all of them, but quite a few.

Have any of you made that decision? I want to keep my prices affordable in these days of HIGH PRICES! I want my business to be viable a year from now and 5 years from now. I raised my prices about 2 months ago, and my business, though semi steady has really fallen....and I think it's my prices.

Have to make choices. Keep my pricing in hopes I still get business, or buy locally and lower my prices to keep my business open.

My DH and I make pretty good money, but we just took out a home equity loan to add on to our shop for my mom (a mini apartment) and doing some much needed renovations to our house (my DH inherited his grandparents house ~ it's 125 years old!) We've been here for 11 years and have done tons of work to it already, but have to put an end to the renovations while I'm still sane and mobile! LOL OK, I'm only 48...but still and have a 10 yr old son.

Anybody thinking along the same lines? Just wondering if this is a stupid idea or does it make sense?

Carrie

I just don't think I could keep it at 1 supplier. I go to DFW or BCS for wax and a lot of FOs, Riekes (Garland)for glass, but I have to keep some of my other FO suppliers. I buy FOs in volume so that does keep down the cost a little. I think we have to keep shopping around. Carole

I've got it to mostly 2 but they are within driving distance of me. (luckily) There are about 5 or 6 others that I use but each one is for different specific things that the others don't carry--and I usually stock up to make it worth my while to ship....or hold out until they have a cheap/free shipping sale.

I stay with 2 suppliers - 1 for FO's, coloring, and small items that I have to ship or pick up when I am visiting family, and 1 for everything else - containers, wax, wicks, some fo's and emergency items - that I'm only 15 minutes away from. Between the 2 suppliers I have variety with FO's, containers, colors, and peace of mind that I have tested, tested, tested everything from these suppliers, so I know pretty quickly if something is wrong.

On top of everything else, I find the customer service, ease of ordering, and consistency with both suppliers superior to the others I've tried.

I have 3-4 main suppliers that I stick with, but only have to order from 2 on a more regular basis. I get my jars and wax locally, so that saves a TON on shipping. I also get most of my FO there as well.

If I ever get big enough to buy in bulk (maybe by this fall), I would like to make a trip to WSP (where a majority of my stuff comes from) and buy enough for at least 6 months, but that all depends on what the price of gas might be this fall.

If you have something locally, try to get as much as you can there. BCS has some wonderful fragrances. I buy 2 there, but they only have 2,8, and 16 oz sizes, wish they would carry 4 oz!

Steph

Yes, I have dropped 3 of my suppliers for that reason. I only order small amounts from them and the shipping is not worth it. I am narrowing my line down also. It cost a lot to keep it all up. I drive to get wax and jars. That helps. I had to go up on all my products. So far so good. It seems to be ok. Stay with your new price and see what happens. It may be that the customers are just not buying. The ones that have money will still buy your product. I am giving them more options. I am making smaller candles and votives too. That should help. The main thing, is don't do like the rest of the world is doing, and that is cutting your scent or quality. They will stay with you, if you keep a good product.

If I had a supplier within driving distance they would be my best friend! The only supplier I have within driving distance have prices that are as high as I pay from any of my other suppliers after shipping.

I do think it is a great idea to consolidate as much as possible with suppliers. You can save some $ and especially when you can drive there.

I get almost everything from a single supplier - Alabaster. The only thing I don't get from them is my wicking, since I get it specially made (primed with Beeswax). Other than that, everything comes from Alabaster since they're in driving distance.

Oh, I do occasionally buy something like wick holders from other suppliers but that's once in a blue moon :)

So far I couldn't be happier getting as much as humanly possible from a single supplier that's reasonably local. Haven't found a downside for it yet :)

Thanks for all your responses! Seems there are quite of few of you that already deal with mainly 2 suppliers....

I do have only one supplier for my wax, one for my jars and one for my lids. I use BCS in a pinch for my 8 oz. jars if I can't buy a pallet all at one time. Normally I buy my jars by the pallet for cost savings definitely.

I'm basically concerned with the FO's and the number of suppliers I use to get my line. It's just crazy! Add up the shipping for all those and the cost per oz. jumps dramatically. Now on the FO's I sell really well, I do buy 5 lbs. at a time for a reduced cost and thank goodness they are here in Texas!

Thanks again!

Carrie

Yes, I have dropped 3 of my suppliers for that reason. I only order small amounts from them and the shipping is not worth it. I am narrowing my line down also. It cost a lot to keep it all up. I drive to get wax and jars. That helps. I had to go up on all my products. So far so good. It seems to be ok. Stay with your new price and see what happens. It may be that the customers are just not buying. The ones that have money will still buy your product. I am giving them more options. I am making smaller candles and votives too. That should help. The main thing, is don't do like the rest of the world is doing, and that is cutting your scent or quality. They will stay with you, if you keep a good product.

Amen! Couldn't have said that better!

I am cutting back on my suppliers. One takes too long to get me my supplies, so they will be the first to nix.

Carrie, it's not stupid at all to try to think of ways to save money. I'm getting a good bit of my supplies from Greenleaf in Grand Prairie - I get my wax there, since I can pick it up and save shipping, and I've added a lot of their FOs to my lineup. I try to stick with Texas suppliers in general, figuring shipping may be a bit less in-state than out of state, but thus far I haven't managed to find everything I need in state. I've got some scents that are hugely popular that I don't want to discontinue, so I'll keep ordering them, but I'll stick close to home whenever possible as long as doing that doesn't lessen the quality of my finished product.

Thanks Bunkie68! Yes, I think I'm going to go that route....just looked at BCS website and my 6006 just went up $6 per case to $72...yikes~!

I can get some of my current scents there, as well as, some of the one's I did years ago, that people really like, but I "moved on" to newer ones. I will also stick with the suppliers that have my "different" scents because they sell so well. I can also get my 8 oz. sq. mason jars from BCS as well. I'm tired of paying the freight for pallets....was $200 now it's $375.00! So much for profit! LOL:sad2:

Business the past 3 weeks has been slow. Bummer! My phone ans. machine has been empty too! I normally have about 5 candles msgs. per week,,,,but now....it has flatlined!:sad2:

But, I was totally surprised yesterday, that I did get my very first order on my B&B website (www.simplysoftbodyshop.com). From a guy no less! Says it's for a special person visiting him in June. 7 bars of soap and 3 Ramie soap pouches! woohoo! I prettied them up in some organza bags and gave HIM a few goodies for himself! I'm really surprised, as I've not had much time to upload my pics for some of the items I am offering. Baseball is coming to an end, so maybe I can "catch up".

Thanks for your input!

Carrie

Hey if you can get all of your supplies from one supplier, you're doing great, I have a handful of suppliers that are all one or a couple of states away to save on shipping. Since I am in GA, I usually stick with suppliers in FL, SC, NC, TX or AL. The farthest I go North is TN, and the furthest I go west is CO (I love Peaks). I don't think I could ever cut my list down to just one supplier, I love fo's to much!!

I use only 1 supplier. It's BCS. But then again I am just 18 miles from thier store. So I save on shipping. When I know I am going that way I put in my orders and take my SUV to stock up LOL...With gas prices so high even 18 miles cost. I also like the service there too everyone is sooo nice.

Guest jurnalynn

i do b&b and i get most of my fragrances from coastal scents mainly because they offer free shipping on orders over 100 dollars i get my micas, glitter, some oils and odds and ends from them too

Laura

Thanks Bunkie68! Yes, I think I'm going to go that route....just looked at BCS website and my 6006 just went up $6 per case to $72...yikes~!

Carrie, are you close enough to BCS to pick up? If you are, and there's ever anything you want from Greenleaf, maybe we can work out our own little co-op or something - I'll get Greenleaf stuff and ship to you, you get BCS stuff and ship to me. :grin2: I love their Red Velvet Cake - it is absolutely drool-inducing.

Business has been slow here, too. Maybe it will pick up for summer, and if not, I figure I can use the time for testing for fall.

It is great that you have one supplier, but make sure you have back-up suppliers for all your products for a couple reasons.

1. What if you have a problem or BIG disagreement with that 1 supplier and you never want to do business with them again..:mad:

*I am sure you all have been there or will have a supplier issue at some point...:rolleyes2 .... Best to have back -ups..

2. What if that supplier goes out of biz.. :(

With this crazy economy, many are also downsizing and/or closing.

I try to limit my products to a few local suppliers, but I also make sure I have several back-ups and options...

Well I have managed to stay afloat by #1 buying in bulk and #2 any oil that I use over 20 lbs a year I get duplicated and buy 35 lbs of at a time. Most oils I was paying $20.00 and over is now costing me $5.00 - $10.00 a pound. So that right there is a huge savings

As far as sticking with 1 or 2 suppliers that would be a great idea but at some point someone is going to do something that you are not going to like, have a crappy batch of wax, or raise the prices or just be ignorant to you in general if you have a valid problem with one of their products and you really do want the option to shop elsewhere. Island girl has a good point.

Wax is the main killer though,you are lucky you are in driving distance! I am seriously considering just biting the bullet and getting a truck load and renting a storage unit. But after the fees how much are you really saving? The only thing that annoys me is that not one supplier that I currently deal with will use my FedEx or UPS shipping account #'s to ship wax. I get better rates and I could be saving more money but I guess companies want to tack on something you know? I think everyone has the inflated shipping pet peeve but what can you do. I guess a co op would be the solution but a few thousand pounds may be difficult to move unless people were very serious about it. I for one am very curious of what it would actually cost. I think many suppliers are using the rising price of raw materials BS excuse way to liberally. I think it is greed plain and simple and everyone saw an opportunity to jump on the band wagon. The last time looked into buying soy wax direct and at 6 pallets it was only .42 cents a pound so do the math.