mixing scents

That's pretty much a loaded question....

With each scent from different suppliers smelling different to most people...there are so many variables that the results of one persons test with particular scents from a particular supplier would be hard to compare.

They sound like nice combinations :)

Oh yeah... you might find some information on different mixes in the Fragrance section too...

When I first test a scent to see if I even like it in wax I don't use dye. Any leftover wax goes into a separate Dixie cup, labeled.

Later I mix various ones together to see what I think.

I had mixed Sweet Pea and Balsam at Christmas. I really liked it for firestarters. Didn't test it in a candle, though.

I like doing it that way more than the Q-tip test. It just doesn't hit me the same way as the FO already in the wax.

Lavender/Vanilla and Jasmine/Vanilla are pretty standard mixes. Depends on what you are looking for, Candle Science has a great lavender vanilla already mixed. I personally mix Peak's lavender with their vanilla passion and like it, but the ratio is 1:3 for me, because their lavender is really strong.

Experiment...it's fun.

I personally mix Peak's lavender with their vanilla passion and like it, but the ratio is 1:3 for me, because their lavender is really strong.

Experiment...it's fun.

that's an understatement!!!!!! I've also mixed Peak's Lav with amber & patch....really nice.

Ooooh, try vanilla & pomengranate = heavy on the van, light on the pom...great blend.

that's an understatement!!!!!! I've also mixed Peak's Lav with amber & patch....really nice.

Ooooh, try vanilla & pomengranate = heavy on the van, light on the pom...great blend.

YUMMY. vanilla and pomengrante sounds good. I just poured a pom. the other day and it smells soooo good.

hmmmm - wonder what lav & pom would smell like???????? I plan on playing with my wax & FO all weekend = will have to try it cause the Pom I use is super strong and might just be the one to tame the Peak's Lav:grin2:

hmmmm - wonder what lav & pom would smell like???????? I plan on playing with my wax & FO all weekend = will have to try it cause the Pom I use is super strong and might just be the one to tame the Peak's Lav:grin2:

I think the Lavender from BCS is just right. Not too strong or medicinal.

Pam - you took the words right out of my mouth on the amber and patch. What about sandalwood. Just came to mind that it seems somewhere I have seen lavender and grapefruit???

I have a very long list of mixes I want to try one day, that day just hasn't arrived yet

Probably like most of you, I'm always thinking of mixing this with that and so on but never get around to trying all my ideas. One thing I do is take my pillar stubs and either remelt them together or make layers with the different scents. It's a good way to test without wasting more of my precious FOs. Tarts are a good and cheap way to test different combos too.

I made layered pillar with pom and wild berry musk with layers of amber in between. (leftovers) A friend grabbed it up and said it was a beautiful mixture...will have to make one for myself one of these days ;)

• 1 year later...
Just read on another thread today - dip one end of a Q-Tip into one scent and the other end into another scent and place it in a ziplok bag. Come back later and smell it. Guess this would work for a 50/50 mix.

It's kind of an out of bottle smell but it gives me an ideal if I am going to like it. I break a q-tip in half, dip in scent and drop in a jar. I figure each q-tip makes that scent stronger.