.com and .com/store/ ???

Sorry JRC! It sucks when suppliers try to do customer damage control in public instead of via email or PM. You should not have felt that you had to post personal emails to defend yourself in public. You did nothing wrong asking basic questions and identifying the host to see if anyone else could help solve your problems since the hosting co was not.

You eMailed me three times yesterday.. 8:44AM, 12:36PM, and 1:36PM.. all three eMails were replied to yesterday, and not one of them asked about the /store issue.

That was very unprofessional!

I just inquired with this company regarding setting up my website and they were quick to respond and helpful. I didn't realize there had been changes, but that does not matter one bit. I am not interested in peoples personal lives, just the business end of it.

BUT, after seeing HandcraftMarket's posting, I think I need to rethink this. Due to earlier postings on this board, the OP was TRYING to be sensitive and find out the information she needed a different way. I realize the OP is ok with this and I am not trying to defend her...she doesn't need that. I just would be very upset if the same thing had happened to me...

Back to the subject of .com/store not getting picked up by the search engines. I changed from the Premium Mals cart to Zen Cart in Jan. This changed me from a .com to a .con/store which I was not aware would be the case. Prior to that I was on the 1st page of google 90% of the time. Now I'm lucky if I'm found on the 20-30th page!! GRRR!! My sales which averaged about 5-6 a day have dropped to 0-1 a week! I've livid about this but don't know how to change it.

Anyone have any sage advice?

Back to the subject of .com/store not getting picked up by the search engines. I changed from the Premium Mals cart to Zen Cart in Jan. This changed me from a .com to a .con/store which I was not aware would be the case. Prior to that I was on the 1st page of google 90% of the time. Now I'm lucky if I'm found on the 20-30th page!! GRRR!! My sales which averaged about 5-6 a day have dropped to 0-1 a week! I've livid about this but don't know how to change it.

You can put zen cart in the root directory if you want. I put it in the /store since a) i'm still learning the Zen Cart and prone to break it B) I used to work for a ISP and nothing was kept in the root for our hosting.

I do know with my hosting provider i can change the direct point for the domain from the root to the /store folder if i want so that going to .com would take me to the main store.

I'm going to give you an example layout of what my storage looks like (place i upload to)

/.(root)

/......httpdocs(folder)

/......DWs files(folder)

/......DDs files(folder)

/......My store(folder ivyrune.com)

/..........Store(folder with zen cart in it ivyrune.com/store)

/......My Files(folder)

now with my domain control in the admin area of my hosting package(1&1 hosting) I can edit the domain and make it look at anyone of those folders and that folder becomes the root folder for the domain.

so if i point the ivyrune.com to the store folder then when you go to the .com you will see the store not what is in the My Store folder.

hope that makes sense. doing my best not to talk in techie.

each / is where a specific .com points save for Store it is a .com/store

edit put spaces in consider the . as a space

This likely has little to do with the fact that your store installation resides in a /store directory, and more to do with how visitors to your domain get from your 'root' (i.e. http://www.yourdomain.com) to your /store.

For example, some configurations (and builders) use a 'doorway' or 'splash' page on their root domain with a 'CLICK TO ENTER' link that directs the visitor to their actual store.

Google hates these, especially if these 'doorway' or 'splash' pages are loaded or 'seeded' with keywords. Such methods can hurt your search ranking considerably.

Here's what Google has to say about 'doorway' or 'splash' pages..

Another illicit practice is to place "doorway" pages loaded with keywords on the client's site somewhere. The SEO promises this will make the page more relevant for more queries. This is inherently false since individual pages are rarely relevant for a wide range of keywords.

So moving your store to a subdirectory like /store isn't going to negatively impact your ranking.. but how you go about directing visitors to your root domain very well can.