.com and .com/store/ ???

Does the .com/store part make it harder for google to index you or to move up in ranking? I had a .com/something (I don't remember what) and I could never seem to rise past page 3-5 in google. Changed hosts and had .com and now I sit higher. Don't know if that helped or it was just a coincidence tho.

Does the .com/store part make it harder for google to index you or to move up in ranking? I had a .com/something (I don't remember what) and I could never seem to rise past page 3-5 in google. Changed hosts and had .com and now I sit higher. Don't know if that helped or it was just a coincidence tho.

EXACTLY!! I took an e commerce class with the Ecommerce diva and that is what she thinks too! I can never get past the 2nd page....which is not bad i guess but i would like to try for the 1st, you know. Is that something the only HCM can do. I hate to bother them right now with all that is going on. I am glad you understand what i am talking about Traci.

I purposely put it there, and i've had no problems with google and yahoo and the other search engines crawling all over my site.

The reason i put it in a sub folder the /store is so if i break the store i have the main index page to put up an explination. I also added a link off the main page to the store.

the link straight to the store is in my sig, take off the /store and you'll see the main index.htm page.

You definitely have better luck than I did. I didn't have any problem getting crawled. When I checked to see how many pages were actually indexed, out of 55-57 total pages in my site there were usually 8-10 that actually showed up. I can't even begin to understand how google does it's thing but every little thing that I can tweak is a step in the right direction for me. I can't swear that the hosting change helped, but I started showing more pages and moved up within a few months of the change.

after i broke the store in the zencart update back in january i used google cache to find all the descriptions to the items.

I forgot to mention (just went looking at the hosting admin console) that i'm allowed a google site map. I do know that some items we sell if you google them we come up way down the list others first page. ::shrugs::

I did. But i have not gotten a response. I don't want to bother them with all that is going on....

Business is Business!!!!!!! Wanting to 'bother' them or not, you have a business to run and you are paying them for a product/service. Its up to them to provide that service you are paying for wether by them or if something is going on they are responsible for finding someone who can run it etc...Is there a phone number?

I haven't checked out HCM to know if this is the case or not, but I know with many other sites they have different subscription levels you can buy which determines whether you have a .com address or a .com/store/ address. As you can probably guess, it costs more if you have your own unique .com address rather than the .com/store/ address.

I switched from HCM to DIY about 6 weeks ago. I think its a much easier setup. I agree - moving everything SUCKS big time but I now have the piece of mind that if I need help - I will get it :yay:

OMG, i remember helping you add stuff to your HCM site. is it really that much better? What do you feel is better than HCM?

Oh Frank just an FYI when i try to go to www.handcraftmarket.com at work our internet blocking tags the site as Reason:

The Websense category "Phishing and Other Frauds" is filtered.

Hard to say why some domains and eMails are considered 'bad' by such software, while others are not.

The welcome eMail sent to me from this message board was flagged by my mail client as 'junk', for example.

I didn't say I emailed you yesterday. I said I emailed you, Frank. Maybe it is in your junk mail. Here is a copy and I will resend it.

Date:Monday, May 12, 2008 5:24 AM

To:HCM Orders <orders@handcraftmarket.com>

Subject: question

1. My wholesale area is not working, never has been. I have stuff written in there but it does not show.

2. How come when you go to my site it ends in /store/. There are other HCM stores that do not do that. How can I take that off?

Amanda Kennerly

Just Right Candles

No Flame, No Soot, Just Scent

www.justrightcandles.com