Can i really start a business?

I love makeing candles. Ive been doing it on the side and selling it for extra side money. I would love to start up a candle and soap business someday, but jw if its really possible to make a living off of? Can I quit my job and just do this? Im 21 and want to have my own business hopefully by the next couple years.

Well sure - people DO make a living from candles and soap! Whether YOU can or not depends upon you! ;) Personally, I wouldn't quit my day job.

Keep increasing your business until you feel sure that your income from candlemaking will equal or surpass your salary. For most folks, keeping the day job is necessary for reasons of insurance, 401K, etc. and they choose to sell part-time for extra income (or to justify their candle & soap habit).

At 21, your wisest bet is to get the best education you possibly can and learn to do as many income-producing jobs as possible so that if one thing doesn't work out, you have other sources of income upon which you can fall back. Good luck! :)

Thanks. yea, I would love to have my own store someday. My mom has her own business and ive helped her run it ever since i was 8, so im very familiar with the business thing.

Yea, i figure i will need to keep my day job for a while for now. But hopefully I wont someday.

I also agree with Stella. It's very hard to make a living from selling candles and b&b products. The market is saturated......BUT...yes, it can be done. It usually takes time, and a lot of money and work. I think Stella pretty much said it all.....work your butt off doing both (candle business and day job) till you really feel you can quit your day job.....and have a good education so you have something to fall back on.

I agree with Stella as well. I've been making candles for 8 years, still have the day job too....with candles, I have great years and then not so great years....I like having a steady flow of $$ so I KNOW my bills can get paid and we can eat :grin2: and go on vacations! LOL

Good luck to you!

Carrie

I agree with Stella as well. I've been making candles for 8 years, still have the day job too....with candles, I have great years and then not so great years....I like having a steady flow of $$ so I KNOW my bills can get paid and we can eat :grin2: and go on vacations! LOL

Good luck to you!

Carrie

Thanks. I see youre from Texas? So am I.

You would also get terrific experience by working in a retail environment before jumping off on your own. A job at a candle store like Yankee would give you priceless experience that you just can't buy. A good business education is nice too. Meanwhile, you can starting making and testing your product. This should keep you busy for at least four years of college....:laugh2:

(Sorry, don't mean to be mean. But testing is a bear! and takes a long time.) Good luck to you!