Herbal Soap / Neem Soap

patka

I would like to make an all vegetable soap with some neem herb inside, for someone with problem skin. Not with neem oil, but with the crushed leaves, which have medicinal properties. I have a CP soap recipe with coconut, palm and olive oils. My question is, at which point should I incorporate the powdered herb in order to preserve the most of the medicinal properties? Would it be the best to infuse the herb in olive oil for a few days and then add it at trace? Or some other way? And how much of the herb can I add (say by weight in relation to the weight of the oils) at most? Has anyone made an herbal neem soap? I have found threads on soap with neem oil, but not with the herb. I am thinking to scent the soap with cedarwood EO, but will also welcome any other EO suggestions. Thank you in advance.

I've used other herbs in soap for their properties. I'd infuse them on oil and use that oil at trace and also add powder after trace (if CP) or after the cook (if HP). Just make sure the leaves are powdered. They can be scratchy.

I made a nice batch of neem salt bars w/the oil and I have had great results with that. I'm not sure if you would get much of the properties from the herb in cp, maybe it would be better to do it HP to keep more of the properties you are looking for.

Thank you both for replying.

MamaV -- how much of herb powder do you put per lb of oils, if I may ask?

Soycrazy, does the neem oil, once it is saponified, retain the medicinal properties that it has as oil? I have some neem oil and I could use that instead or along with the leaf powder. I just was not sure if it would keep its properties when it turns into soap.

Thanks!

Thank you both for replying.

MamaV -- how much of herb powder do you put per lb of oils, if I may ask?

Soycrazy, does the neem oil, once it is saponified, retain the medicinal properties that it has as oil? I have some neem oil and I could use that instead or along with the leaf powder. I just was not sure if it would keep its properties when it turns into soap.

Thanks!

Ive found that it keeps its properties. I have horrible skin and when I use my bars that has neem in it it does WONDERS. I have also had others test it too and it still worked for them.

Thanks to all of you. I think I will try the oil first, since I am new to soaping and have only tried CP, I will continue with it. When I am ready to do HP, I will try with the powder, it sounds like it may keep its properties better in HP soap.

• 1 month later...

I would like to follow up on this older thread. If I would like to infuse some herbs in oil, how much herb powder (any herb, not only neem, for example mint, etc) per one pound of oils in the soap to use. For example, if I have 2000 grams of oils for my soap (or say about 4 lb), how much of total herb powder is recommended? Thank you in advance.

If I would like to infuse some herbs in oil, how much herb powder (any herb, not only neem, for example mint, etc) per one pound of oils in the soap to use. For example, if I have 2000 grams of oils for my soap (or say about 4 lb), how much of total herb powder is recommended? Thank you in advance.

Maybe this will help: http://www.tlcsoaps.com/mknghrbl.htm

Very informative site and she covers your exact question. :D

Digit

Just a suggestion but if you can, get some pinetar and add that. Pinetar soap is great for all kinds of skin conditions. Like neem oil though it stinks.

I made pine tar for the 1st time about a month ago. My DS was laughing so hard at me mixing and gagging!!! That stuff smells so rank! I mixed a belnd of lavender, tea tree, and patchouli EO's to try to mellow out the scent. It turned out really nice and I've got a few people testing it now. I won't be looking forward to having to make it again any time soon though!

I made pine tar for the 1st time about a month ago. My DS was laughing so hard at me mixing and gagging!!! That stuff smells so rank! I mixed a belnd of lavender, tea tree, and patchouli EO's to try to mellow out the scent. It turned out really nice and I've got a few people testing it now. I won't be looking forward to having to make it again any time soon though!

It smells like you are having your kitchen floor paved LOL

It's hard to believe how nice it mellows out, I like it unscented.