What factors decide if it's a "good day" for you at a show?

After posting about the spring fair, I got to thinking about what factors into my "bad/good/great" feelings leaving a show.

I asked my husband (and business partner) and our factors differed, so I thought I would ask here too:

Mine - Good day

Covering:

Booth fee

Transportation / Lodging / Food

Materials of the candles we sell

$10 / hr for the time we are there

at least 1 prospect for other business (wholesale / fundraiser / party), networking (outside of the candle industy - photography, events, containers, etc)

Lots of face time with customers and browsers

DH - good day

Cover all cash expenses and cost of all materials brought to the show x2. (He's such a talker LOL)

Just curious to see what other factors are important to others.

Carlee

That's like asking what's the best container wax....everyone has their own idea.

Personally, I'm not in this to "work". I need to make enough to support my habit...so far, so good. On the other hand, I am not thrilled to go through all that lugging, setting up, tearing down and lugging again for $5 an hour!

check this out http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61710&highlight=good+show

Keep in mind, that just getting your product out there, being seen and starting to brand your product is part of going to shows. So, though it might seem like a "bad" show money-wise, you never know if you'll pick up a couple new clients, or stick in someone's head.

Money's nice, though, of coarse ;)

When it is a first show...

I expect to cover my costs plus lots of $$. (OK.. Some $$)

Be it that day or by contacts I made leading to wholesale accounts or Fundraisers.

I have done shows that I did not make but a little more than booth fee, but the fundraisers I got from them were WELL worth it..

Second Show -

Repeat customers..

When I have people come back and tell that they made a special trip to find my candles and they LOVE them. Then I know it is a good show!!!

Plus lots of MORE $$ than the first show!!! LOL:highfive:

A good show is 5 to 6x your booth fee. ....

I've come to the conclusion that this has no basis in reality. I have a show that is 40 minutes away that costs me $75, and another that is 10 minutes away that is $65. In order to cover my expenses, I better sell a whole lot more at the first show...

To be a good enough show to go back to again we have to pay all costs + show fee and then clear $500 per day average. We only do a few small or one day shows and do 5-6 large events from Sep-Feb. We used to do any show we could get into but the income vs time just wasn't making it worth it.

BUT, we do like a wine festival every now and then or a good chili cookoff. Not much profit but free food & drinks and fun - every once in a while is fun!

Thanks for all of the responses. I enjoy reading everyones different point of view, and what works for them. I have found I learn from each response, even if it differs from my perspective at the moment. It also makes for some really interesting dinner conversation with my DH.

BTW, Georgia - what's the best container wax :grin2: