Help me use my aloe vera?

ah-soy

I literally have dozens of aloe vera plants growing in my backyard and thought it might be fun to experiment with some balms or salves. Having never used them other than to squeeze out a little when I burn a finger, not sure where to begin. I am currently surfin' and looking for recipes, but thought someone here might have some ideas. TIA!

I've never used it raw from the plant and I wouldn't even begin to know how or if it should be treated any differently than any other kind you can normally buy.

BUT... if I were experimenting I would probably try to incorporate it into a balm/lotion stick, body butter/lotion or sugar scrub. Sugar Scrub or balm being the easiest. It would also be great for an after sun spray or lotion stick. Just remember it's not been preserved and you will have to do that.

Wish I could be more help and more specific. Maybe others will chime in their experience working with the real original thing.

thanks blaze...I have never worked with it straight from the plant either. I looked at sites who sell aloe vera and they don't list a preservative with the inci ingredients so I don't know if it needs preserved if not added into a water based product...obviously, I've got lots more research to do...not even sure I want to now...boy are those plants sharp...ouch!

if i remember correctly i read that raw aloe is very perishable, so i would be careful if i incorporated it into any bath and body products

also i think there is a cold process they use to get the gel, powder, and juices from the aloe leaves, not sure about that but definitely worth researching :grin2:

A friend of mine uses it in her soap, this is from her website. She just cuts open the stems and scrapes the gel out.

Aloe Vera - The mucilaginous juice or gel obtained from the leaves of this plant, widely used in cosmetic and pharmaceutical preparations for its soothing and healing properties. * Known to help reduce external scarring, relieve sunburn pains, scratches and cuts. It is an aid to growing new tissue and alleviating the advance of skin cancer caused by the sun. It is a treatment for ringworm, boils, inflamed joints, scalds, itchy allergic conditions, insect stings and bites. It creates a softening of external skin, relief from dry or sensitive skin and skin diseases. * We use our own home grown Aloe Vera that contains no preservatives or dyes - strictly organic.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aloe-vera/NS_patient-Aloe

http://www.aloeveraproducts.com/about_aloe_vera.htm

I'd just mention to your friend to change the wording a bit to say "believed to be an aid", because she's making a medical claim. Especially with:

It is an aid to growing new tissue and alleviating the advance of skin cancer caused by the sun. It is a treatment for ringworm, boils, inflamed joints, scalds, itchy allergic conditions, insect stings and bites.

Those statements should be changed to "It is believe to be a treatment".

Not trying to sound rude - but I'd hate to see someone innocently get smushed or sued.

I've also been thinking about how to use the raw gel. I recently had a couple of surgeries for skin cancers, one (by my eye)which will have the stitches removed tomorrow. I know from previous experience that the raw stuff is very healing. I've used it on burns and my G'mother's bed sores with great results.

I was thinking about scraping the gooey stuff from the plant and maybe beat it with the SB with some oil to make a paste, maybe a little poly 20 or 80 (?) and a preservative of course. I don't think it would be wise to make anything other that very small batches that can be used up in a few days. Since it's ready available from my yard, it will be easy to mix up a batch when needed. Definitely would not want to sell it and probably not even give it to anyone else...for personal use only.

I'd just mention to your friend to change the wording a bit to say "believed to be an aid", because she's making a medical claim. Especially with:

Those statements should be changed to "It is believe to be a treatment".

Not trying to sound rude - but I'd hate to see someone innocently get smushed or sued.

Thanks MissMary I will do that.

grows like a weed-grew up in the phx area and we always used it when sunburned

health food stores sell a juice and other products-go peruse their shelves! used to be an awesome one in apache junction-not sure if it is still there!!

I am also interested in incorporating Aloe Vera into some of my products and had accidentally ordered "juice" instead of the "gel". I went to www.chemistrystore.com to find the additives to make the juice into a gel and read this little blurb they have:

"Aloe Vera gel is the product that is squeezed from the leaves of the aloe plant. The gel has a thick consistency for a short time, but after a few minutes, an enzyme reaction occurs and the product becomes a liquid."

Just thought I'd mention that as I was not aware of the "change" it goes through.

Just some info.

Carrie

I thought I read in the ingredients on a supplier's website, that the aloe liquid used for lotions and stuff has aloe and cetyl in it...seems like it was only two ingredients, and I was sure one was a preservative...(sorry I looked it up, it has Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate in it)

maybe if you just adjusted your preservatives...but then again, I'm not sure of that because I have never used aloe or made lotion, I'm just a soap maker.

By the way, Candlelady, I love your quote at the bottom!