Lab testing bath and body

Hi!

I make my own bath and body for friends and family and I am thinking about selling. I have talked to some people about and as of right now I know about the insurance, and licensing. Someone told me that I have to have every formula lab tested before I can sell it. I was told that even if I add or subtract one ingredient or change the levels I have to get it lab tested again. is this true? I have been looking on Craftserver for someone to bring it up for a while now, but no one has that I have found. I notices some of you said you sell and was wondering is this true? and if so how much (around abouts) does it cost and where do you go to get it done?

I have looked into B&B and my insurance told me the same thing.

Even if I use the bases and add only add the B&B safe FO..

I have put a B&B line on hold until further research..

I am also wondering how true this is and how many people really have each product tested.

I do not have my formula's challenge tested if they came from a base. I do my OWN testing for each fragrance, but not challenge. From my understanding and research, the bases have been challenge tested and going by their recommended guidelines for additives will not alter the way the base reacts.

My insurance man told me that once you add anything to the base,

then you have altered it and it would be wise to have it tested.

Now, of course he says this because he is in the insurance end of it.

but legally, what is required by law???

My insurance man told me that once you add anything to the base,

then you have altered it and it would be wise to have it tested.

Now, of course he says this because he is in the insurance end of it.

but legally, what is required by law???

There is no laws concerning testing. There are in labeling of course. There are also ingredients excepting this law.

Testing is for your own piece of mind and for the ability to use it in court should you ever be challenged by making a product unsafe for human use.

Altering a product and it's capabilities and labeling are really subject to what is used. For instance, a company markets an FO as B&B safe and you use a base, and both claim to be able to be used with the other, you are no longer liable should the product fail in relationship to FO adding into bases if the amount is as recommended.

When you add in a raw ingredient, such as chemicals, stearic types, additional water, oils, etc. without manufacturer's recommendation or acceptance, then you can CHOOSE to have them tested but proper labeling would bear - "This safety of this product has not been tested." should you not have tested them, altered a base and attempt to sell it.

Ok.. I found this which may help.. I am a newbie at B&B. But here is an quote from the FDA site ..

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-206.html

Does FDA approve cosmetics before they go on the market?

FDA's legal authority over cosmetics is different from other products regulated by the agency, such as drugs, biologics, and medical devices. Cosmetic products and ingredients are not subject to FDA premarket approval authority, with the exception of color additives. However, FDA may pursue enforcement action against violative products, or against firms or individuals who violate the law.

Who is responsible for substantiating the safety of cosmetics?

Cosmetic firms are responsible for substantiating the safety of their products and ingredients before marketing. Failure to adequately substantiate the safety of a cosmetic product or its ingredients prior to marketing causes the product to be misbranded unless the following warning statement appears conspicuously on the principal display panel of the product's label:

"Warning--The safety of this product has not been determined." (21 CFR 740.10)

In addition, regulations prohitit or restrict the use of several ingredients in cosmetic products and require warning statements on the labels of certain types of cosmetics.

In general, except for color additives and those ingredients which are prohibited or restricted from use in cosmetics by regulation, a manufacturer may use any ingredient in the formulation of a cosmetic provided that the ingredient and the finished cosmetic are safe, the product is properly labeled, and the use of the ingredient does not otherwise cause the cosmetic to be adulterated or misbranded under the laws that FDA enforces.