? about the Exotic Butters

so-soy

Ok, I think these exotic butters sound absolutely like the bomb diggity but as I looked at them on the WSP site I noticed they are made from an extract in hydrogenated vegetable oil with some sweet almond oil also in it. Now my question is this, is this butter basically essential oils in a 'crisco' type base? Here's the inci list for the Lavender butter. I noticed this is the ingredients in most of those exotic butters on the wsp page. It made me wonder anyway.

INCI Ingredients: Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (and) Lavendula angustifloia extract (and) Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil.

I think I know whats goin' on here, your looking at butters for items like the lime and green tea and coffee and lavender butters. These are plant type products which if I had to take a guess are infused into the liquid oil (almond oil) and then combined with the solid base to make a butter type product. The page is even title Extract Butters.

The items like shea, cocoa, aloe, and mango butters are all 100% what they are, no fillers needed becuse when processed they make the butter product. These are on the Natural Butters page.

Hope this clears up the confusion. I'm sure if you look at a few other suppliers' sites, you're sure to find many more exotic natural butters available.

Thank you for commenting, but I did realize I was looking at the Extract butters, I knew I wasn't looking at a mango, shea, cocoa etc, type butter. I wasn't confused about what I was looking at. My question was 'is this basically an essential oil in a crisco type base'. Sorry you took out of my post that I was confused about these butters but I wasn't!

This is what the site says about the Lavender butter I got

Lavender Butter™ is a proprietary cosmetic “butter” developed exclusively by BioChemica International for cosmetic use. Lavender Butter is actually an extract of whole Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender) flowers using a Sweet almond Oil/Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil mix which produces a smooth, velvety “butter” at room temperature that smells of fresh growing lavender. With this product you can not only get the clinically proven power of Lavender, that produces soothing, calming, and near sedative effects, but you also get it in a luxurious, easy to use butter base that will add amazing skin feel to any emulsion, or anyhdrous formulation. It is completely oil miscible and contains no preservatives or coloring agents.

and the Green Tea Butter

Matcha Green Tea Butter is produced from finely ground Matcha Green Tea Leaf powder, and blending it with a proprietary combination of Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils to produce a butter-like material suitable for use in cosmetics and toiletries. Matcha Green Tea is valued for use in cosmetics and toiletries due to its high content of Polyphenols, Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCg), and Xanthines. Green Tea can protect the skin from aging and serious damage in general from the sun’s UVB rays. Xanthines present in Matcha Green Tea such as Caffeine and Theobromine have natural anti-inflammatory, anti-cellulite and anti-irritancy effects. Matcha Green Tea Butter may be used in body care, soaps, facial creams, lotions and sunscreens to impart moisturization, particularly for dry, damaged skin (i. e. eczema, psoriasis and mastaligia.)

:confused:

This is what the site says about the Lavender butter I got

Lavender Butter™ is a proprietary cosmetic “butter” developed exclusively by BioChemica International for cosmetic use. Lavender Butter is actually an extract of whole Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender) flowers using a Sweet almond Oil/Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil mix which produces a smooth, velvety “butter” at room temperature that smells of fresh growing lavender. With this product you can not only get the clinically proven power of Lavender, that produces soothing, calming, and near sedative effects, but you also get it in a luxurious, easy to use butter base that will add amazing skin feel to any emulsion, or anyhdrous formulation. It is completely oil miscible and contains no preservatives or coloring agents.

and the Green Tea Butter

Matcha Green Tea Butter is produced from finely ground Matcha Green Tea Leaf powder, and blending it with a proprietary combination of Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils to produce a butter-like material suitable for use in cosmetics and toiletries. Matcha Green Tea is valued for use in cosmetics and toiletries due to its high content of Polyphenols, Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCg), and Xanthines. Green Tea can protect the skin from aging and serious damage in general from the sun’s UVB rays. Xanthines present in Matcha Green Tea such as Caffeine and Theobromine have natural anti-inflammatory, anti-cellulite and anti-irritancy effects. Matcha Green Tea Butter may be used in body care, soaps, facial creams, lotions and sunscreens to impart moisturization, particularly for dry, damaged skin (i. e. eczema, psoriasis and mastaligia.)

:confused:

Hmmm so it sounds like we may be able to make these ourselves - I make my own extracts at home which is pretty easy and VERY inexpensive to do, here is the link on how to make an extract for anyone that was wondering:

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/extract.php

So it just sounds like extracts, Almond Oil, and Crisco??:confused: , or maybe some Herbs infused in the Almond Oil, with harder oils added to make it a "butter" -

I could be wrong, at any rate I have some Matcha Green Tea Powder, and a few vegetable oils, it's worth a shot, I may have to try it this weekend :naughty: - I will keep you posted on my progress, if it works, I will definitely be back to show you the outcome!

So you guys are kinda thinkin' like me then, hmmm, could this be made by us? I was so intrigued by the thought of these exotic butters, they sounded so heavenly but when I saw they were actually 'made' from extracts and hydrogenated veggie oil I started thinking they didn't sound so exotic anymore! LOL.

Anyone else who has received these butters have any opinions on them??? Hoping more people who have tried these will come along and tell us what they think!

So you guys are kinda thinkin' like me then, hmmm, could this be made by us? I was so intrigued by the thought of these exotic butters, they sounded so heavenly but when I saw they were actually 'made' from extracts and hydrogenated veggie oil I started thinking they didn't sound so exotic anymore! LOL.

Anyone else who has received these butters have any opinions on them??? Hoping more people who have tried these will come along and tell us what they think!

Here is a link to an old thread - Bunny checked the ingredients, looks like coconut oil and about 1-5% extracts for some of the exotic butters - We can definitely make this!

From the sounds of the other posts, the butters do well in CP soap, not so much if you are trying to make a body butter with too high a ratio of this stuff, it will turn to "soup"

Here is a link to an old thread - Bunny checked the ingredients, looks like coconut oil and about 1-5% extracts for some of the exotic butters - We can definitely make this!

From the sounds of the other posts, the butters do well in CP soap, not so much if you are trying to make a body butter with too high a ratio of this stuff, it will turn to "soup"

Thanks for the link, but it didn't work for me so I will do a search for it. This is very interesting to say the least, those 'butters' are pretty expensive per pound and if we can make something very similar and use that in our applications that would be great!

• 2 years later...

I wanted to revive this post to see if anyone has had any luck making their own exotic butters.

I used the green tea butter (palm oil) from Texas Natural and my body came out great. When I ran out of the gt butter, I ordered more from MM (veggie oil) and now all I get is a big mess. Grrrrr.

I use Lipidthix from Lotioncrafter to make butters out of exotic oils. The Herbarie carries it as Vegethix. It is powdered hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is what our suppliers mix with hempseed, soybean, coffee, usually avocado, etc oils to create these "butters" we buy. I do a 75-80 oil/25-20 butter ratio and it works great. HTH!

Edited by mychellec
I cnat psell

I use Lipidthix from Lotioncrafter to make butters out of exotic oils. The Herbarie carries it as Vegethix. It is powdered hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is what our suppliers mix with hempseed, soybean, coffee, usually avocado, etc oils to create these "butters" we buy. I do a 75-80 oil/25-20 butter ratio and it works great. HTH!

Thanks for the info. I ordered some Lipidthix on Monday and I can't wait to try it.