Calwax- cb3 users + % Fo used

Hi there. I need a bit of help, I am currently using Calwax cb3 and I have been trying to scent 1lb of wax with 1.25 FO. I seem to always get sweating the sweating in my opinion is FO. I have tried different FO, but get the same result. Does anyone use this Soy wax and if so how much FO are you using pp of wax. I measure the FO with an electronic scale and a tall shot glass. Am I doing something wrong. 16x7.50%=1.2 FO.(7.5%)

I am heating to 160* no dye* cooling to 125* add FO Stir for 1 min and pour into travel tins. could it be that the temp when adding FO is to low and it is not able to mix properly with the calwax.

Please help if you Can.

Suz

I have used this wax for almost 4 years and I can use 8-9% with no problem unless it is in very warm conditions. It holds fragrance better than the 70/30 that I was using for my colored line which I had to pull off my line because it would sweat for sure in warm stores, etc. My soy did fine. It would have to be real warm/hot to give me a problem. I heat mine to around 176, add fragrance and stir, stir and stir. I pour around 130.

You may live in a different type of environment than me. But, it does well in the summer here too.....unless I took it to an outdoor summer show....sure it would sweat then like most soft blends would too. Different environments can make a difference but maybe you can solve it by adding the FO at a higher temp.

The two downfalls I have with this wax are....frost like a dickens and will leave a soy residue (what I call soy slime) on the sides a bit. I would have to over wick to get rid of this. I do use a veggie modifier which may increase the residue..not sure. I have gone colorless so the frost issue is not an issue now and I use frosted jars which hides some of the residue. The residue (not hang up) is mainly with the squatty 10 oz jars.....not the 16 oz. jars so much. The 16 oz. gets hotter and is taller so the slime gets off the sides much better than the 10 oz. Oh, and I do have to do repours which I really dislike having to do. Esspecially in the taller jars. I had a couple of hidden air pockets in the beginning so I do not trust it unless I poke and repour.

Good luck with your testing. :)

Hi Holly:) Are you sure the FO wont burn off if I add it at 176*

thnx

Suz

I used to add the oil at around 155 and then I read where it is best to add it higher not only for blending but some folks even got a better throw when adding it higher. I have never noticed a decrease in scent throw from adding it at 176 vs. 155. But then again I really do not detect a much better throw adding it higher either. Adding it at 176 has worked great for me. If you are not mixing really large amounts than there definitely will not be a problem. It cools down pretty fast. Even if you have a whole 4 pound pot, it will still be ok.

Do you live in a warm humid climate? You may be up north like me since you ordered from Swan's. If you are, than you should be fine...not have a lot of trouble with sweating/bleeding. It is not humid up here and not warm very long. Matter of fact, it is snowing right now! There are things I do not like about the CB-3 but I have gotten very attached to it and I know it well. It is my old faithful wax that I use in my signature line. Keep us posted. :)

Suz,

Is the sweating happening when the candle is not lit, or are you talking about the sweating that can appear on the part of the unmelted wax around the meltpool? I remember when I was new at this I was worried about the sweat beads that would appear around the non-melted wax meltpool. I called Calwax and told them about it and I could pretty much tell it did not look like straight FO. He told me that it was the lower melt point properties in the wax that was sweating out from the heat of the flames. He said that it would do the same thing in a candle with no FO. So, to make sure he was right and I was right, I made a candle with no FO and sure enough it did the same thing. I don't even think about that kind of sweat anymore. The kind you do not want is when the candle is sitting not lit and it begins to bleed oil or just sweat in general. This can look ugly and if it is straight fragrance oil it is not a good thing when a customer goes to light it. Not that something would happen but you never know what could happen if there was a large FO pool that developed on top. Safety is so important.

Holly

The sweating appears after the candle has been lit and there is a 1 -2" mp. I have had some sweating on un-lit candles in the past, and it feels a bit greasy when you touch it.

Sue

BTW: I live in Lake Stevens WA

Holly

The sweating appears after the candle has been lit and there is a 1 -2" mp. I have had some sweating on un-lit candles in the past, and it feels a bit greasy when you touch it.

Sue

BTW: I live in Lake Stevens WA

Ok, well that is good news that most of the sweating that you are noticing is in the unmelted meltpool while lit. You are noticing the same thing I noticed when I started out using soy and this wax. There is not problem with that. As I have said above, I talked with Calwax about it and even ran tests without FO in it. They are lower meltpoint properties that are coming out from the heat of the wicks. It has not been an issue and does not cause problems at all. If it was sweating or bleeding oil while sitting unlit, that is not good. Like I said above, it is ugly and for another if it is bleeding oil and causing oil puddles, you never know what "could" happen if the candle was lit. The sweat that you are getting in the unmelted meltpool while it is lit also has happened in other soy paraffin blends I have used. If you want to be reassured other than from me, I would call Calwax.

Regarding the times that you have noticed some sweating when it has been unlit, it can happen if the candle is sitting in warm conditions for long or moving from a cold condition to a very warm condition. I have had this happen with some heavier oils, but not often. For the most part this soy has held up very well in warm conditions in stores....better than some blends. If it is happening more often than it should (conditions are not that warm, etc), you may be able to help this by adding your oil at 176 or so.

I have never been to lake Stevens. It is on the west side, right? We are sort of neighbors. :)