HELP with shrink wrap and heat guns

First off I want to say hi to everyone here (I'm new) and thank you so much for all the info I have found so far. I have been making candles for about 6 months now (and I'm hooked :cry2::D). I want to do shrink wrap or some other way (?) for wrapping/packaging votives and pillars. Can you use a heat gun with shrink wrap on candles? Do they not melt?

I shrink wrap votives and tarts constantly, and from my standpoint, the hotter the shrink source, the better. I use a heat gun on the highest setting, which shrinks the wrap quickly and removes wrinkles. I work fast, and have never melted a product.

Fredron

I shrink wrap votives and tarts constantly, and from my standpoint, the hotter the shrink source, the better. I use a heat gun on the highest setting, which shrinks the wrap quickly and removes wrinkles. I work fast, and have never melted a product.

Fredron

Fredron, I have some shrink wrap and have been scared to burn my fingers off so I have been using Cello bags and I put 8 melts to a bag,,Been doing it for almost 6 years now and they sell pretty good until one day a lady only wanted to buy 4 different kinds. Luckliy I had some small ziplock bags I could put them in. So now I realize I need to single wrap them.,,PLEASE tell us HOW??? I like my fingers and the heat gun is very hot. Thank you in advance Breanna:embarasse

Ok, Breanna here's how I do it. It certainly wouldn't be the only way, might not be the best way, but it works for me.

And by the way, your sale of mixed bags is exactly why I started shrinking mine also.

I use 3" shrink wrap tubing, which comes on a roll about 8" in diameter. I made a support out of wood, that holds the roll, sort of like a toilet paper holder, and roll it out onto the tray of a paper cutter. That way I get a nice clean square cut. I cut a couple hundred at a time. After cutting, I seal one end on an impulse sealer. Slide the tart into the open end of the sleeve, and seal the other end with the sealer as close to the tart as possible. You can get really close to the tart if you seal it bottom side up. The closer you get, the less wrinkles you'll have when finished. Trim the excess sleeve material, and in the process, clip off one small corner of the package. This is to allow the air to escape from the package when you heat it.

Put the tart on a heat resistant surface, bottom side up, and hit it with the heat gun. (Run the gun first to preheat it.) Flip it over and do the top last. Fingers never have to be close to the heat.

Once you get a rhythm going, they go fast.

I like the shrink wrap packaging, because I can now stick on a label.

Hope that helps,

Fredron