thinner? sugar scrub?

Jooniper

I have a request from a salon/spa for a sugar scrub in large quanities. They have requested it be in a "pump" delilvery system as it is more sanitary for multiple users. They plan on using this for pedicures. My current sugar scrub is basically a tweaked version of Bohunk# 14 recipe and is too thick. Should I attempt using less butters and use more oils? I use turbanado sugar and wonder if it would have to be a finer sugar to come through a pump. Any suggestions/recipes for a "pumpable" sugar scrub? I prefer emulsified scrubs with less oily residue. Thanks for any help out there!!:D

Hmmmm yes, try more oils and less butters and if there's stearic acid in there, cut it waaaay back (maybe eliminate it all together).

Definitely go for a finer sugar or run your turbinado through a food proccessor.

Do you know what kind of container they want to pump from? The size of the pump will help you figure out how thick or thin you have to go.

I've tried a "thin" scrub that was pretty much just oils & sugar. The sugar settled into the bottom (didn't have far to go, it was most of the recipe) and turned to a solid chunk at the bottom of the container while a thin layer of oil rose to the top. No way was it going to be pumped. Maybe if it's an emulsified scrub...

I had the same problem with my very first (and only so far) salon...they wanted a more sanitary way for all their people to use it. My sugar scrub just won't pump and they didn't want it changed. (I only tried the gallon size lotion pumps though).

What I did was make up a BIG batch and filled up individual 16 oz jars (one for every technician) and put the rest in a half gallon jar. When a tech needs a refill, they put on latex gloves and refill their jar from the big one. They're happy and I'm happy. They also ordered some retail size scrubs to sell :)

I just started using the pop up / snap shut lids (like in the last Oberk co-op). The techs love them...they used to struggle to get the twist lids off with wet, slippery hands.

Just a thought...maybe they'll like the idea???

It would mean changing your recipie alltogether to do this, but I bet it would work best to approach it from the stand point of a liquid soap that you suspend something like ground loofa, walnut meal, etc.

MK made a Smoothie Hand Scrub that is in a pump, and has apricot seed POWDER, and Peach seed POWDER. I keep it at the sink for those really messy hands and I savor it because it was a limited edition, lol. Sometimes if I haven't used it for a while though, the pump can become clogged. And even when it's not clogged, it's not always really easy to pump if I haven't used it lately either.

But I think the size of the scrub ingredient is what's important when it comes to suspension and pumpability. That's why I would suggest Loofah, as it seems it would be lighter weight.

Jojoba beads would suspend well too maybe.

I make an emulsifyied sugar scrub for the face with no butters , only castor and mostly jojoba with the addition of glycerin and a pinch of liquid glycering soap ,

I put it into malibu tubes but I'm sure you couldn't get it to pump out even though it is squeezable

I also make this in a cream wash-same recipe without sugar which is still thick but probably pumpable...hmm not sure if that's a word.

Any way,

My suggestion is to maybe think of packaging single use packages to avoid contamination

Not even sure where to look for that type of packaging

I thought I had it all figured out and tried Debk sugar scrub recipe...which...by the way...I love!!! I left out the stearic completely and put it in a 16 oz jar with the larger pump from TSW. Unfortunately the sugar seperated and sunk to the bottom.. Sooooooo I am going to try with just a little bit of stearic and go from there. If I cannot get it to pump I will try refillable Malibus. If I get something together for this spa...they have two other salon/spas and are getting ready to open an express nail spa and would like to use my products for all of them! One more question...does anyone know of a LARGE malibu, larger than 8 oz with a larger hole for dispensing? THANK YOU FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS!!!!!:grin2:

I don't know of a larger malibu! I just sell 4 oz. bottles right now. Probably should get some 8 oz. but they send people over to the vendor's shop after they have used the scrub and the people like buying the 4 oz. size. If you find the bigger malibu's let me know so I can sell them to the salon.

I know what they are talking about I am also a nail tech and also have tried several receipes for scrubs and yes one that would pump would be great because it is very easy to get water into your jars while performing your pedicure and you have wet hands for sanitation reasons this is a no no for contamination. There is a scrub in a pump that we can order from a supplier but it would be so nice to be able to make our own. And much cheeper. If you come across one that works please share with me. Thanks

I sell my massage oil in an amber 8 oz. bottle with pump. The scrub I make would pump also. I use a scrub receipe I got on here and add an extra tbsp. of oil than what the receipe calls for.