Rising cost of waxes...

Di_in_AZ

Thanks, Di - good article.

The only factor not mentioned was the shift of soybean oil being used for food and candles to biofuels...:undecided

Yeah, you're right. I hadn't seen any articles that had that much in depth information. I was just a little taken back that the soy goes to China adversely impacting prices, the one country that has also cost us jobs is also costing us in many more ways. :(

I also thought it odd that petroleum companies are getting out of the wax business--I thought that candles, etc. were selling more than I ever recall in the past. I could be very wrong there though, not basing that on any research, just my observations. It was a good eye-opener though.

America really needs to stop exporting some products to keep our products prices in line and affordable.

There's a reason egg prices are so high too,,, we export a ton of them to China since the pandemic breakout of their chicken population years back.

I want to scream (and I do ) everytime I get an email from my suppliers about price increases.:angry2: It makes it so difficult for all of us to earn a decent profit,especially when we have to keep raising our prices so often lately. We can't afford not to.

When I started my business almost 12 years ago, I was paying around $29.00 for a case of container wax,$10-$12 per pound of oils, and the shipping was considerably alot less. This is why you sometimes overhear people remark at craft shows, "$$$ for a candle ? I can just get them at Wally World or the $ store". It's frustrating as hell, but your loyal following will stand by you,because they understand. I sure hope our economy turns around real soon,I've worked my butt off too hard & too long to hang it up & work for someone else:angry2:

I had someone say that Wally World was like 2 bucks. So I told them the truth. Wally world is pressing wax granules to stand up to the pillars, votives or fill a container. This makes them less dense and less product. Weigh mine, and weigh theirs. Less product equals less burn time.

Secondly, the particular brand and combination is less fragrance by the pound and is cheaper wax, making it easier to smolder, burn hotter and use up the less product.

So yeah - get that same "size" candle for 4 bucks versus my $7. It'll burn for X time (usually the containers around that size tunnel and are used up in about 15 hours). Mine last 40 hours. So.. 4 bucks 4 times for 16 dollars to equal mine, or 7 once? (The price and hours are examples since I don't have my notes in front of me, but you get the idea.)

I get so tempted to buy some of those crappy candles & burn them just so I can have them on hand to show people what they're really getting for a couple bucks. The container candles I've seen at the $ stores are only 1/4 to 1/2 full of stinky wax & the wicks are way off to the side ! Makes me cringe:eek:

I spend so much time testing & trying to keep customers informed on safety, this completely goes against everything that represents a safe candle .

I get the stupid Walmart thing as well. My friend was on hand when I had a woman tell me that she could get them cheaper at Walmart. I wished her luck--and told her you get what you pay for. My friend said it is the difference between driving a Ugo and a Mercedes LOL!

Secondly, the particular brand and combination is less fragrance by the pound and is cheaper wax, making it easier to smolder, burn hotter and use up the less product.

Don't they just scent the outside of the candle? I have heard that several times, never wasted the money to burn one to find out. I know in the past, having candles with no scent throw was what prompted me into making them in the first place.

Don't they just scent the outside of the candle? I have heard that several times, never wasted the money to burn one to find out. I know in the past, having candles with no scent throw was what prompted me into making them in the first place.

Some brands but the Mainstays brand (ETA: the votives and containers are packed. The pillars are packed, but use the overdip method I mention below. Wanted to be clear.) does scent the granules. If you take a votive of their's and squish - it can crumble, if you have a bit of strength. Hubby did that once when we were stress testing them against mine. Depends on how hard they get packed and turns out it's quite variable at that.

I used to spend at least $100 a month in candles, mostly votives with that brand. It's actually what led me to making my own from Michael's, then that crappy stuff didn't work as well as I wanted and found the whole schpiel online. I spent so much because I wanted the scent in the whole house when I want to relax, and it took a ton. I thought that was normal.

From what I researched, other store brands like Pier 1, scent the top, so as it burns down, the scent still stays because the top burns down into the melt pool, but they don't have to scent the entire candle, so it's still weaker than what I or the other people here make.

Yet others, like Bed, Bath and Beyond I believe it was, do scent "dips" and just take the pillars, overdip them in the same colored wax that's scented, so you never actually smell the candle burning really, just the scent given off the side. It's interesting, to take a lighter against the side of the candle to see what it does... it doesn't drip right away... it kinda fizzles/bubbles for a second. Hard to explain.

I did do some testing against what I had at my house already, Yank's, Mainstays, etc. and yuck... I don't use the results as a selling deal, though. It was for my own information.

Arnt alot of the "cheap" dollar store candles and such made in China and other countries??

That could be a come-back selling point too. I know my candles and wax and scent and jars and wicks are made here in the USA.

tootie

Arnt alot of the "cheap" dollar store candles and such made in China and other countries??

That could be a come-back selling point too. I know my candles and wax and scent and jars and wicks are made here in the USA.

tootie

They probably are, that is not a bad idea at all.

tootie

Yes and they are also unregulated in the import process, so they can still contain lead wicks, which USA made candles by law cannot.

I'd be interested in finding a glass supplier from the US, found one but it was in New York and shipping was twice as much as the glass which wasn't cheap either. All the regular suppliers here import.

I had someone say that Wally World was like 2 bucks. So I told them the truth. Wally world is pressing wax granules to stand up to the pillars, votives or fill a container. This makes them less dense and less product. Weigh mine, and weigh theirs. Less product equals less burn time.

So yeah - get that same "size" candle for 4 bucks versus my $7. It'll burn for X time (usually the containers around that size tunnel and are used up in about 15 hours). Mine last 40 hours. So.. 4 bucks 4 times for 16 dollars to equal mine, or 7 once? (The price and hours are examples since I don't have my notes in front of me, but you get the idea.)

EXCELLENT POINTS!! I gotta remember that for the next time someone makes the "WalMart and Dollar Store" are cheaper" line...:highfive:

I SHOULD buy some of their candles and do some side-by-side comparisons with my own, but I can't stand giving them money!!

I get the stupid Walmart thing as well. My friend was on hand when I had a woman tell me that she could get them cheaper at Walmart. I wished her luck--and told her you get what you pay for. My friend said it is the difference between driving a Ugo and a Mercedes LOL!

Not to mention the candles are prolly poured by a 6 year old Indonesian girl, fresh out of the slums! LOL - no offense to any 6 year old Indonesian girls who may be reading this of course :P.

Not to mention the candles are prolly poured by a 6 year old Indonesian girl, fresh out of the slums! LOL - no offense to any 6 year old Indonesian girls who may be reading this of course :P.

You aren't supposed to be using 6yo Indonesian girls to make your candles?:shocked2::eek: And here I am wasting my money paying her a penny a candle.. :whip: Drat! Well I guess that means I need to actually Start pouring them myself...:D