Babassu Oil

Meridith

Nope, I keep checking and it is still listed as OOS. I will still have an order when the Babassu come back in stock even though I made an order from OBN.

ETA: OT also has Babassu oil in. I got some in from there last week but I only bought 2 lbs hoping to have it get me through until SS came back in stock.

What benefits do you really feel it adds to soap. Is it worth the price? Just wondering your oppinions. It has been out so long...my soaps without it feel wonderful.

I was on the bandwagon for a while, but finally concluded that babassu is expensive coconut oil with virtually identical properties. Anyone who cares to design a realistic test can demonstrate that to themselves. If you want to make a high-lather bar that's a little less harsh, palm kernel oil is more useful. Babassu contains the same bad stuff as coconut in about the same amount.

PS - I have a container of babassu from CF that was purchased just before it went out of stock. It's been sitting in a cold storage room -- not only unopened, but still sealed in the shipping carton. If anyone wants it, you can have it for the standard CF price plus shipping.

I love Babassu and can tell a difference in my bars from PKO and coconut. To me, it does not make the soap as brittle as PKO will if you use too much and it is not as drying to my skin as CO is.

Babassu is back in stock at Soaper's Choice but for quite a bit more than what it use to be listed for. OBN's prices are much better (for now).

it does not make the soap as brittle as PKO will if you use too much

Unfortunately, SoapCalc has very incomplete information about PKO, which is too bad seeing as so many people use it. I think probably the majority of people are using the flaked forms, which are actually hydrogenated PKO. Hydrogenation convertes the oleic acid into stearic and there can be a whole lot of it. Depending on the type of flakes, you can have a stearic content comparable to that of cocoa butter.

The properties of the soap won't be anything like what SoapCalc suggests, and certainly very different from coconut or babassu. The brittleness comes from underestimating the hardness of the recipe and soaping it too cool. High-stearic recipes have to be soaped warmer, both in the pot and in the mold.

Say what? Please say that again... I'm easily confused these days.

There are several different kinds of palm kernel oil. Palm kernel flakes are harder than unhydrogenated palm kernel oil (or 76 degree coconut oil) -- a lot harder than SoapCalc says.

The extra hardness comes from stearic acid produced by hydrogenation. If you use a lot of palm kernel flakes (especially certain kinds), there can be a lot of stearic in your recipe that you wouldn't suspect. Soap a high-stearic recipe too cool or let it cool off too much in the mold and you get brittle, defective soap. Adjust the temps and you just get hard soap.

I'm not sure which part threw you before, but I hope that was clearer.

Top: I have been soaping long enough to know to not go by the soap calc as being gospel. It took me a bit of time to design a recipe that has the qualities I was looking for in a soap. I like babassu and feel it makes a nice difference in my soap.

Babassu also has wonderful conditioning qualities that make it good for use in other applications than just soap.

Top...on the soap calc..what # amount do you try to keep your Stearic?

The percentage of stearic in my main recipe would be meaningless without all the other numbers. It's about how the different fatty acids balance each other or work together.

Let me just mention, you might find it useful sometimes to consider the sum total of stearic + palmitic. They don't do exactly the same thing, but they're related. It can be easier sometimes to adjust the sum of the two rather than each one individually, depending on what oils you're using.

You don't even have to get into specific numbers until you make a recipe you like. Then you have a fatty acid profile that's good. You can learn tons by trying to make it even more to your liking. Trade off one type of fatty acid for another and see what the difference is. It's an endless learning process, but it doesn't take forever to start getting a feeling of understanding and control.

I'm glad you're looking at those numbers. It's way more useful than focusing on the supposedly inexplicable properties of specific oils, with their mysterious "emollients" and whatnot. What oils mostly contribute to soap is the fatty acids they're made of.

It's not about you. I posted about PKO because I think it's good info.

Well since you used my quote, I responded to you. I understand that you are posting about PKO but you also mentioned that you don't like Babassu and feel it is not worth it. I like it and feel it is. I take into consideration all my oils and butters when soaping and how they work together. Just because you feel that Babassu oil is not that great does not mean you are correct. We all like different things and feel different oil and butters bring different qualities to our soap. I simply pointed out what I liked about Babassu when asked and then responded to your statement about the soap calc since it was my quote you used. :wink2:

Well since you used my quote, I responded to you. I understand that you are posting about PKO but you also mentioned that you don't like Babassu and feel it is not worth it. I like it and feel it is.

Sorry, no particular implications in quoting you. It just stuck in my mind when when Robin said the same thing about PKO a while back. Over time I managed to sort out what the deal is with that, so I went off on a tangent with it.

As for the babassu thing, 8-G-O asked a question and we each posted different answers. It happens. Yours doesn't bother me, but I stand by what I said.