Shipping problem question

kray2

Hi All, have a quesion for you. Here's the deal... sold items, got paid for them at a bit of a cut in order to get rid of eveything, so got a bit less than I was asking. But ok. It was gone. yipee! Shipped out using USPS, they didn't want prioprity- only parcel and no mention of insurance. Checked the prices, only a couple bucks total in difference. I sent it out after paid at what they wanted- parcel. fine and dandy. no problem. The person gets the box, almost a full week later if not longer, and said something was missing! What? get to talking and couple things missing and the box has been retaped.

So my question of the day is... what to do about it. Do I give $$ for the amount missing although I know it was all there? Do I go 1/2 or do I do nothing? I honestly wonder that USPS wrecked the box and didn't put stuff back. I hate problems like this. Any suggestions???

I had a problem like this a few years ago. The Buyer said that the box they got contained used car parts when i had sent them over $200 in candles. USPS said it was not their problem, even though the box was insured. I ended up replacing the candles, 'cause it was cheaper than taking the paypal hit. I wish i had better advice to offer. The situation sucks, because i think the majority of the time, the reciever of the box is lying, since they never want to take the box to be verified.

Sorry to hear this is happening to you. Did you take a picture of all the items? A picture of them outside and then inside the box? If not, then you'll have a hard time proving they were put in there. It sucks, I know. I would offer to refund the price of the items that were missing, that's about all you can do, and then move on. You'll never know if the person was lying or not and may even get to a point where you start questioning yourself whether you put them in there or not...ugh. It's a vicious circle. Good luck to you!

I'd offer a merchandise credit, not an actual cash refund. If they return to you for another order, they may purchase more than the value of the loss. I'd explain that all the items were there. Was the package damaged when she got it in the mail?

Always no matter what include shipping insurance in your price of shipping. The insurance is not for the buyer it is for you. For instance this case....your buyer is entitle to receive what they paid for otherwise a refund. If the shipper messed up that is for you and the shipper to hash out. The buyers responsibility should be paying you for the product and receiving it whole and enjoying it. The rest is on the merchant.

Good luck - I would refund the difference and use it as a learning tool for future sales.

The Problem with Shipping things to people, is assuming that they are honest. Most aren't. Everyone is out for the buck and will do anything to get more $$ than they are entitled to. I Have seen more than one occasion when the recipient of a package is trying to say the an item was broken, damaged.. etc.. when asked for proof. they can provide none. As for insurance from the PO, i never purchase it anymore, because i have yet to see them reimburse me for the other previous claims i have filed with them. Including one where the candles were obviously taken out of the box, and the box was repacked with used car parts.. which my customer recieved.

They should have purchased insurance, but you should've either had them buy it or informed them that if the package ended up damaged or missing that you were not responsible. I would let them know that it happened in shipping and you would be willing to split the difference, since it was neither of your faults.