Reed Diffusers

I send mine to a nursing home where the rooms are about 10 X 10 and they are effective in that size room. They also work in average-sized bathrooms very well. The oils that worked best are the ones that were strong OOB.

As far as larger rooms (i.e., living room or den) you have to get fairly close to the diffuser to catch the aroma. Flipping the reeds helps ... hubby flips the one next to the bed twice a week.

I made one using Peaks base and a nice vanilla from JS. It is in a VERY small bathroom, and I cannot for the life of me smell it, nor can the guests that use that bathroom.

I do not think I did anything wrong, mixed according to the directions on the base. I have enough base and reeds to give it one more try.

I am glad I just got enough base for a couple for me.

I sell reed diffusers and I do well with them. I do not sell Vanilla because it's too heavy to mix with the base. I put them in small bedrooms, bathrooms & offices. The scents that I use are:

gardenia, rose, lemongrass, lavender, cottage breeze, sandalwood and apple and recently added apple pie and testing baby powder.

It is important to flip the reeds once a week and flip it within 24 hours of when you first assemble it. You need to get the scent infused into the air by traveling up the reeds, if the scent is too heavy to travel up the reed, it's just oil in a vase.

Don't expect a tart-like experience regarding scent throw, this is a subtle, pleasant scent but it lasts for weeks-months, not hours.

I don't think they're all that effective either.

My new kick is effusion lamps. Now these babies work excellent! I never believed a half teaspoon of fragrance would scent my whole house...but it does.

Well, I feel better now! I just bought a reed diffuser from C&S and put it in my very small bathroom - and I can barely smell it. Granted, I don't always remember to flip the reeds, but it is kind of a disappointment. I know the FO is going up the reeds - that was the first thing I checked - and my hands smelled like peach all day! lol

I think I will try a stronger fragrance and see how that does.

I don't think they're all that effective either.

My new kick is effusion lamps. Now these babies work excellent! I never believed a half teaspoon of fragrance would scent my whole house...but it does.

I just checked out a site that carries these lamps - I wonder if my customers could follow these instructions...:tiptoe:

Full Instructions are on the back of the bottle of most every brand of Fragrance Lamp Oil. Make sure you read all the directions before proceeding.

1. Set Fragrance Lamp on a level, stable surface. Remove the Decorative/Open Shade and Solid Snuffer Cap.

2. Fill Fragrance Lamp no more than two thirds full with fragrance lamp oil using the small funnel. Dry off any spilt Lamp Oil carefully! NOTE: Your fragrance lamp will not function properly if it is too full! You may add as little fuel as you desire, but never more than 2/3 full.

3. Insert the Wick Stone into the Fragrance Lamp and REPLACE THE SOLID SNUFFER CAP ON THE LAMP.. Allow at least 20 minutes for the Wick Stone to absorb fragrance oil. (If the lamp does not stay hot, you MUST put the snuffer cap back on and wait another 20 minutes before lighting it again.)

4. Make sure the Fragrance Lamp is not near any flammable material. Light the Wick Stone (You will get a substantial flame... 2 to 4 inches tall) and leave the flame on for at least 2 minutes. The whole point to this is to get the wick stone up to operating temperature of 400 to 500 degrees. Blow out the flame after 2 to 4 minutes. Make sure you blow out the flame, do not assume it has gone out. The Wick Stone is now operating. There will be no flame but the burner stone will be very hot! You may damage the wick stone if you leave it burning with a full flame for longer than 4 minutes.

5. Place the Decorative/Open Shade over the Wick Stone. The Decorative Shade protects you from getting accidentally burned on the hot Wick Stone and also helps to hold the heat in the stone. Never put the Decorative/Open Shade on your Fragrance Lamp when the flame is burning.

6. To extinguish, remove the Decorative/Open Shade and place the Solid Snuffer Cap on the Wick Stone.

I sell a lot of the reed diffusers ~ I mix my fo's & base ~

These are some of my best sellers ~

Apple Jack & Peel

Baby Powder

Best Friends

Black Raspberry Vanilla

Brown Sugar & Fig

Candy Apple

Clean Cotton

Christmas Mulberry

Christmas Splendor

Coconut Lime Verbena

Curve (Men's type)

Kudzu

Honeysuckle

Lavender Vanilla

Love Spell

Mulberry

Mulled Cider

Muscadine

Peach*Magnolia*Raspberry

Pear Berry

Pomegranate

Romance

Sugared Spruce

:) HTH

I only use strong OOB scents (they also need to smell good OOB!) and Peak base. I test in the ladies room at work and they are great for 3 months or more. I might remember to flip the reeds every week or 2. I tell my customers that they are designed to scent a powder room or guest room; they are not designed to scent a large open room like a living room.

I had to drop the fancy packaging to be able to lower my price, but now I sell kits and refills pretty regularly.

I just checked out a site that carries these lamps - I wonder if my customers could follow these instructions...:tiptoe:

Jane...I would never make these to sell....way too much liability! I've made 4 of them so far...all for my own use in my 2 homes. I don't even think I'm going to give one to my daughter for her house. One slight bump and over it will go.

And...they aren't cheap to make! Here are 3 of the ones I made for myself.

effusion.jpg

I only got them because people BEGGED me to start carrying them. I don't sell a whole heckuva lot anyways, but I added them a week ago.. and I made as much in reed diffusers in the last week than I had all last year of everything else I carried at the time.

I've tested them out at home and I like them for my bathrooms and such, but no way for the living room unless you want the stick up your nose - but I think they might be a "fad" right now.

Jane...I would never make these to sell....way too much liability! I've made 4 of them so far...all for my own use in my 2 homes. I don't even think I'm going to give one to my daughter for her house. One slight bump and over it will go.

And...they aren't cheap to make! Here are 3 of the ones I made for myself.

effusion.jpg

They look very pretty!