Is there a method for figuring oils for a round tube mold??

Vio

I'm trying to figure this one out and because it's round, I can't calculate the length and width. Should I just figure it as a square and take a bit off so it's not too much? LOL *stumped*

Vio -- you can calculate the volume with this equation....

[Half of the diameter of the tube (the radius)]^2 (squared) * pi (about 3.14159) * the length of the tube.

Now you soapers have some tricks for going from volume to the amount of oils that I don't know.... hope this helps and that I didn't just tell you something you already knew. :o

Thank you!

I'm really bad with geometry stuff. I'm sitting here trying to figure out the diameter of this thing and I know it can't be what I'm seeing. A calc would be great. The thing measures like 3 inches across, but it's no way 3 inch diameter because my candles are 3 inchers and this is a little slimmer so I know I forgot how to figure that out! Calc would be a dream. I'm gonna hunt too. Had no idea there was such a thing. :)

Edit: Thank you so much CareBear!!! :yay:

Edit again: OK crash course in diameter. Worth it though thank you! ;)

Vio -- you can calculate the volume with this equation....

[Half of the diameter of the tube (the radius)]^2 (squared) * pi (about 3.14159) * the length of the tube.

Now you soapers have some tricks for going from volume to the amount of oils that I don't know.... hope this helps and that I didn't just tell you something you already knew. :o

:confused: What? English please & 'splain it to me like I'm a 2 y/o. Better yet, just sign me up for advanced math 101 for really big dummies!

I got a headache just reading that :shocked2:

*chuckles at beau's mama* You can do it, I know you can!

Measure across the circle -- like picture drawing a line through the middle of the circle -- that is the diameter. Half of the diameter is the circle's radius. Or picture the long hand of a round clock going from the center to the edge of the clock -- that length is the radius.

Got that? okay. Now take that radius and multiply it by iteself. If the radius was 3 inches, (diameter would be 6 in) then the radius squared is 3 * 3 = 9 inches squared.

The radius squared times the magic number pi is the area of the circle. So that number times the length of the tube gives you the volume of the tube.

so.... radius * radius * 3.14159 * length of tube = volume.

See? Easy peasy :P :tiptoe:

Apologies to all for the math teacher in me coming out..... I try to keep the urge under control, LOL!

Apologies to all for the math teacher in me coming out..... I try to keep the urge under control, LOL!

Please, let it out, let it out!!! LOL I love math teachers!!! :bow:

Thank you for helping me get that one too. I just was stumped on the diameter. The way you explained it is perfect thank you!!!! :)

I got to thinking about wanting a round pipe for some soap..

I went to my hubbies store room, and found me one..I had him cut it 14" and it is 3" inside diamater..The walls are 1/4" thick..

So if one of you smart ones will help me out on the amount of oils I need,,,I sure would appreciate it...

Another question....here is what I would like to do to..

when I unmold it..is to cut it in half so I will have half moon soaps...has anyone did this..if so do you have any advice..

What is the best to line it with?..

Anyway I am quite happy:cheesy2:

I just might make soap this weekend...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau's Mama

I'm going around the house measuring every tube I can find, I'm going to point him in your direction! :laugh2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CareBear viewpost.gif

:shocked2:

Hey! This is a family site! :P

LMAO... some of you ladies are overthinking this. :whip:

Since I am super lazy- this is what I would suggest. Fill the mold with water, dump into a pitcher [tare scale first] and use this number as the oil weight. Then formula a recipe with that number. If you have any extra raw soap- you can pour them in individual molds or those cheapie tray molds like Tony's sells.

Not nearly precise, but could work in a pinch if you are mathmatically challenged and/or lazy as all get out.

so if I had a 3" tube 15" long I would need 135oz. of oils?

No, this formula is for volume measured in cubic inches. One cubic inch is a bit over half a liquid ounce. Of course, liquid ounce is based on water not oils which have differing specific gravities.

It all sounds terribly confusing, I know. It really isn't. A good way to estimate how much oils you'll need is to find the volume the way Spacegirl explained and then multiply that number by 0.4.

So, your example would look something like this 1.5x1.5x3.14x15x0.4=42.39oz of oils to fill the mold.

Keep in mind that if you use less than full water, you'll need to use more oils to compensate. As I said before, this is only a guide or jumping off point.

I know there are calculators that will do this for you, but I hate the idea of being dependent on things like that. Every soaper should learn to figure out what their mold will hold and how to do lye calculations without going to the computer.

This is a very math heavy hobby/skill/biz/obsession, so I'm always surprised at how many math haters would choose to be soapers. That is not a dig in any way, just an observation. Kinda like a person who hates reading but decides to become an editor.

LMAO... some of you ladies are overthinking this. :whip:

Since I am super lazy- this is what I would suggest. Fill the mold with water, dump into a pitcher [tare scale first] and use this number as the oil weight. Then formula a recipe with that number. If you have any extra raw soap- you can pour them in individual molds or those cheapie tray molds like Tony's sells.

Not nearly precise, but could work in a pinch if you are mathmatically challenged and/or lazy as all get out.

OMG You're right!!!! :bow:

LMAO really, overthinking it is right. Man, you're a genius MA!!! I mean that...that's the best way to approach this one yet. And it makes a lot of sense if you know the recipe you're using well. Genius!!! :bow:

Thank you!!! Love math, but with the more complicated stuff that I haven't gone over since like high school, it doesn't love me sometimes. :(

I tackle as I go, as needed then it clicks and stays there. :)

so if I had a 3" tube 15" long I would need 135oz. of oils?

No, that is not quite right... you need to use a factor to determine just the amount of OILS needed to build your soap formula for this size of cylinder mold. For a 3" wide tube that is 15 inches long you will do this:

[(1.5 x 1.5) x 3.14] x 15 = 105.98

radius squared x pi x length of tube

then do this final calculation to compensate for you only needing the OILS calculation, not the ENTIRE volume of finished soap:

105.98 x the factor of .38 = 40.27 oz of base oils

the full math formula to determine the amount of oils for a cylinder is:

[(1.5 x 1.5) x 3.14] x 15 = 105.98 x .38 = 40.27

radius squared x pi x length of tube factor oils needed

Now calculate your lye and water.

If you want a faster way, and have Excel on your computer, download the Chris Mathes SoapSheet3.1 .. it it at the TOP of my website as a download link: http://www.southernsoapers.com called SOAPSHEET3.1

Build your soap recipe normally, then CLICK ON THE AUTOSCALED tab at the bottom. That worksheet lets you toggled between Rectangular molds and CYLINDER MOLDS! And it does ALL the Math For YOU, grin!

Here is a link to a screen shot of my using the Cylinder function for a soap formula:

http://www.makeitsoap.com/images/math.h1.jpg

Kelly Bloom

Southern Soapers Fragrances ~ "We Have No Common Scents!"

http://www.southernsoapers.com

No, that is not quite right... you need to use a factor to determine just the amount of OILS needed to build your soap formula for this size of cylinder mold. For a 3" wide tube that is 15 inches long you will do this:

[(1.5 x 1.5) x 3.14] x 15 = 105.98

radius squared x pi x length of tube

then do this final calculation to compensate for you only needing the OILS calculation, not the ENTIRE volume of finished soap:

105.98 x the factor of .38 = 40.27 oz of base oils

the full math formula to determine the amount of oils for a cylinder is:

[(1.5 x 1.5) x 3.14] x 15 = 105.98 x .38 = 40.27

radius squared x pi x length of tube factor oils needed

Now calculate your lye and water.

If you want a faster way, and have Excel on your computer, download the Chris Mathes SoapSheet3.1 .. it it at the TOP of my website as a download link: http://www.southernsoapers.com called SOAPSHEET3.1

http://www.southernsoapers.com/tools/SoapSheet.31.xls

Build your soap recipe normally, then CLICK ON THE AUTOSCALED tab at the bottom. That worksheet lets you toggled between Rectangular molds and CYLINDER MOLDS! And it does ALL the Math For YOU, grin!

Here is a link to a screen shot of my using the Cylinder function for a soap formula:

http://www.makeitsoap.com/images/math.h1.jpg

Kelly Bloom

Southern Soapers Fragrances ~ "We Have No Common Scents!"

http://www.southernsoapers.com

I just added the actual link to the SoapSheet3.1 excel spreadsheet calcultor:

http://www.southernsoapers.com/tools/SoapSheet.31.xls

At Summer Bee Meadow you can enter a recipe and then resize it to fit a round/cylinder mold. It's kinda a backward approach if you ask me, but it works just fine.

Go here to enter the recipe, in ounces: http://www.summerbeemeadow.com/SitePages/SBMSoapCalculators.html

then click <Click Here When Done> to get the option for resizing.

I like this calculator, it's the one I use when I make pine tar soap. Just don't make the mistake I did, it gives the minimium water amount and I didn't pay attention to that. I got my soap out of the mold the next morning but it was a job and almost to hard to cut. But it finally came out. If it had been in the mold any longer it would probably still be in there. :)