Are votives worth the trouble?

I've just decided to stop making votives. I think my votives burn great, great throw, etc...but it seems the people around here have NO idea how to burn one. They think they're little pillar candles and wonder why it created a huge puddle of wax on their counter...

I just don't want to deal with the liability anymore, plus I don't enjoy making them so poof! No more votives for me!!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I stand amazed at the questions some people can ask.

"Where's the back door?"

"It's in the back!"

:laugh2:

Trish, one solution is to sell loose votives with the proper size/shape votive cups in which to burn them. Another way is to pour votives directly into the containers. I wholeheartedly agree with you about how folks don't understand how these are intended to be used! ;)

Trish, one solution is to sell loose votives with the proper size/shape votive cups in which to burn them. Another way is to pour votives directly into the containers. I wholeheartedly agree with you about how folks don't understand how these are intended to be used! ;)

I realize both of those things. I know I don't post often, but I'm not a newbie.

After being verbally bashed a few weeks ago when I posed the same question... LOL... yes... they are worth the repour! :P

Oh please, get over yourself. Stop bashing, attitude is everything. You have very professional web site, but obviously have not done the research. Don't drag someone else who poses a question into the web that you have woven for yourself since you joined the board. Move on to a new soapbox please. I've been around here for a long time, I have taken my punches and made wonderful friends.

I was just stating that I posted the same question awhile ago. The fact that I was ridiculed had nothing to do with the question that I asked anyway. The search function is a wonderful thing! :cheesy2:

I'm glad to see you have been around for some time. Without devoted members, the site wouldn't exist, and we all appreciate your support.

Friends are a great thing as well. I have had the chance to become acquainted with quite a few people as well. YAY FOR ONLINE FRIENDS!:D

Oh please, get over yourself. Stop bashing, attitude is everything. You have very professional web site, but obviously have not done the research. Don't drag someone else who poses a question into the web that you have woven for yourself since you joined the board. Move on to a new soapbox please. I've been around here for a long time, I have taken my punches and made wonderful friends.

I realize both of those things. I know I don't post often, but I'm not a newbie.

I don't understand what being/not being a noob or posting frequency would have to do with it :confused: - I was just offering a couple of suggestions, not only to you, but to other readers as well. Since I'm not familiar with the product line of every member of CT or the things they have tested along the way, I have no way of knowing whether you'd have considered it or not. No offense nor disrespect was intended. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't mind making them either. I use the metal molds and have used the EL soy, plain ol' paraffin and palm wax and don't have to re pour. They sell depending on the general economy around here. If people can afford the bigger they go that way otherwise they buy the small stuff like tarts and votives.

Only thing I can't stand is cleaning all those molds after each batch. Can't tell ya how many times I've sliced my fingers doing that.:tongue2:

Whenever I get new votive molds, I take the time to use a fine file and emery cloth to lightly shave the edges and smooth them. Haven't had a cut since.

I have a love/hate relationship with votives. LOL I love them -love the way they smell so good, enjoy making them, enjoy being creative, BUT ... I get "burned out" making them rather quickly. So I make them in small batches then move on to something else for a while. They really are worth the effort though. :-)

As for dye free ... It they are soy, maybe it would be OK, but even with soy I prefer at least a pale shade of color. Part of the charm of votives is they are a decorative item. With paraffin, I make the colors dark and rich.