CB 135 looks like...

crap! I've switched from CBA to CB135 and have noticed a difference in the way it looks once it dries, (after the first pour, and after it's been burned.) Definitely doesn't look as nice. I don't know how to explain what it looks like.. but the top looks kind-of crystal looking, and some have cracks with sink-holes. Others just look bumpy. What does this mean? I don't use any additives or dyes. Nothing has changed with my recipe except the wax.

Also, I've had serious mushrooming problems with this wax. I'm about to go crazy.

Any help out there?

I have never tried CBA, but have been using CB135 for over 2 years and do not experience the appearance problems you are describing. I do get mushrooming with the wicks but this is typical with most soy waxes.

As far as appearance I get smooth tops and for the most part they are smooth after burns. I pour just as the wax starts to cloud, not sure of the temp because I no longer check that.

what % of FO are you using? I have noticed that if I use a high % then this happens for me. Also some FO's for me from a certain supplier does this no matter what % I add. When they cool to fast for me also I will not get the smooth tops.

HTH

Some folks like to add a bit of beeswax to make the tops smooth. It works great. You can start out with 3% but I don't recommend using more than 5% or you will begin to see cracking.

I used to add beeswax to my CB135 until I started blending it with parrafin instead for a parasoy.

Misty,

CB135 is the only wax I've use since switching to soy. I really love it. I haven't experience what you are talking about. I don't use any additive except a uv stabilizer w/vanilla's. I use CD wicks and have never had a mushroom problem. I find that 1oz pp of FO is plenty. I pour at 105- 100. What degree are you pouring at?

Thanks for all the input. This was my first batch of CB 135 and I decided to follow the melt/pour instructions and poured at 125 degrees. Does it really matter what temperature you melt at as long as you don't go too hot? I pour my CBA at a lower temperature. I suppose I will try pouring at 105 degrees and see what happens. I'm only using essential oils in my candles, and I only use 3-4%. It has to be the wax that's causing the mushroom problem, since that's the only thing that's changed.

Maybe I'll try the beeswax if the lower pour temp doesn't help.

Oh, and do most people poke relief holes in their CB 135?

So I made more candles last night, two different scents. I poured at 105 degrees. The tops look much better...at least they are smooth. There are "swirl" marks in them, but better than before. I guess this wax just doesn't set up as well as CBA. BUT, now I have frosting and wet spots. Is there any way to win??

Oh, and I've only used CD wicks.

thanks!

I use this wax, pour even lower than 105, use 1/2tsp CO pp, and don't get any frosting. I use cd wicks as well, and get mushrooming on some fo's.

(also get wet spots!) - but I got those with cba as well. The ht is sooo much better IMO in the 135 I can overlook these issues. I love the way this wax layers after it has been burned to a slightly different colour once it has been set up again!