To blend or not to blend??

that is the question.

I'm considering a parasoy blend. I can't decide on just buying and trying an already made parasoy blend or just buying straight paraffin to mix with my C3 wax. I have read a lot about the advantages of using blends over soy wax and thought I would test it out. :read:

Any suggestions on which way I should go? And if you blend your own, do you just add the paraffin and subtract that amount of soy?

I used to blend a paraffin and a 50/50, just to get a cleaner burn (I know this isn't what you said you wanted to do) but after awhile, it was so not worth the effort. I tried the 50/50 on it's own, had a better throw, look, finish, everything, and I've never looked back. (until recently that is, to compare prices all over the place! But I think most of us are looking at that factor, where we didn't always have to before...:angry2: )

It might be easier to just buy a sample of an already blended parasoy to test out.

It took me a long time to get my custom parasoy blend just right by mixing my own waxes and additives. And I am not talking about a few weeks or months. It can be more time consuming and costly this way but I am satisfied with my custom blend and also use that as a selling point.

Also, with the cost of soy doubling it will take some serious consideration which wax or waxes you are going to use. You also have to consider that the current price increase may be only the beginning and that we are likely to see the price of other waxes increase in the near future as well.

Just something to think about.

right now it may be easier and cheaper if you start buy a preblended wax. i find that preblended soy/paraffin waxes are cheaper than the straight soys. I am also contemplating on bying a soy/paraffin blend.

You're right. After some contemplation I decided to give a preblended mix a try first. I bought a 10 lb slab from candlescience (IGI-6036) to try. If I like it I might try mixing my own but for now I figured it couldn't hurt. If I like it perhaps I will put the time in to testing my own mix, but what a headache.

How on earth did I get myself so addicted to this time and money hungry hobby?????? :rolleyes2 I think I may be neglecting my kids! :D

I have been using IGI 6006 from Cierra Candle and I really like it. I have been experimenting with it for about 4 months now. I have been having some wicking problems with some scents (mushrooms), but other than that it has a good scent throw and burns well. I have tried LX and RRD and zinc wicks. And Cierra's shipping is one of the lowest I have found.

Lite-A-Scent,

Do you have to do a re-pour on this wax? If not what temp are you pouring at. iIam blending it now so that I do not have to and also I HATE to wait for wax to cool down. It is sooooo time consuming. Thanx,

I have tested para-soy blends and found that I liked 6006 the best by far - I just love the look of the finished product.

I have also been testing adding high FO paraffin waxes to the 6006 and am very pleased with the results so far... I just have to work out the percentages...

Candlemaker74 Bumpimg

Do you have to do a re-pour on this wax? If not what temp are you pouring at. iIam blending it now so that I do not have to and also I HATE to wait for wax to cool down. It is sooooo time consuming. Thanx,