What happened?

I poured this week and did 6 different collections, one of my sets

"Cotton Candy" has some yellowing. Here is what I am doing:

Cargill C-3

10% Palm kernals

no dye

1oz fragrance per pound, I mix 4lbs at a time add 4oz FO.

Heat to 175, coold down to 100-105 add fragrance stir like crazy pout at 100 in footed 10oz, footed 18oz and 12oz glass jars. They all have the yellowing at different degree's. Now tha square 12oz jars were pour one day then the footed jars were poured the next day and its the same.

I get my fragrance from wellington, I have never had this happen before. All of my others fine.

So has anyone had this? HELP :)

Chantelle

Aroma du jour

Heat to 175, coold down to 100-105 add fragrance stir like crazy pout at 100

Have you ever made candles with C3 and used this same procedure and additive (the palm kernel thing...what is that?)?

That is waaaaay low of a temp to add FO... I don't think it mixed into the wax...

I never had much luck pouring C3 at an extremely low temperature... how did the tops look?

The Palm Wax is just about the same as the C3, its a white flake. I always add it because I read that it will improve the throw if you add 10%.

My tops look fine, should I be adding the FO at a higher temp for better results. I had some cracking at a higher temp. So I went with what another person suggested up to 170 add FO at about 105 mix & pour. What temp do you add your FO?

Here is a pic of the problem, what to do?? I attached it, I think.

Thanks for the help, Chantelle

i dont see a pic.. but i use ezsoy and they say to add your fragrance oil at 120 and pour at 100. but i have come to find out that,adding F/O at about 160 and pouring at 115 gives me a better hot and cold throw and smoother tops...

when i would add the F/O at lower temps some of the F/O's would not bind with the wax...

just like in soapmaking, different FO will discolor wax. It has nothing to do with the PKO.

PKO is palm kernal oil, maybe it's being used because someone thinks it will harden the wax?

I totally second that. Many of my FOs discolor my wax.

Thanks for the help, I am going to do some testing. I LOVE the cotton candy scent, That was going to be one of my signature scents I named it "Sweet Leticia" after my grandaughter.

I don't want to waste $$ if this is going to continue to be a problem. Do is everyone adding FO at over 150? I have been scared to do that out of fear of having a low throw.

I may need to adjust for this fragrance, if nyone has had dicoloring issues with FO's what ones are they and how did you fix the problem?

About the pic, I tryed to add it with no luck. Sorry.

Chantelle

Aroma du jour'

The Palm Wax is just about the same as the C3, its a white flake. I always add it because I read that it will improve the throw if you add 10%.

My tops look fine, should I be adding the FO at a higher temp for better results. I had some cracking at a higher temp. So I went with what another person suggested up to 170 add FO at about 105 mix & pour. What temp do you add your FO?

I am still a little confused about your palm additive - is it palm stearic acid or pillar palm wax? NatureWax says,

"
The recommended fragrance load for this wax is 6% or less, although a 7 to 10% fragrance loads
may be added with the addition of additives to help control the fragrance.
"

Sure, with additives you can load it up to 10% but why would you want to do that when it is more expensive and contributes to lots of wax problems (frosting, strange crystalline formations, etc.)? We use 1 oz. pp and get a great hot throw using CDN wicks.

Here's the melting and handling instructions from NatureWax (full version available for download from their website):

Handling and Melting of Container Wax

(C-2/C-3)

Step One: Melting of Wax
– The wax should be heated to a temperature of 130 to 200°F to melt the wax up. Do not heat the wax above 200°F. If Wax is held at higher temperatures for long periods of time it will discolor.

Always use a thermometer when melting the wax and never leave your heated wax unattended. While the wax is melting stir the wax regularly to reduce localized heating of the oil. This will help to reduce burning of the wax

while heating.

Step Two: Adding of other ingredients
– Other additives or ingredients may be added at any time to help improve the performance of the wax.

Step Three: Adding Candle Scent and Dye
– The Fragrances and Dyes can be added to the wax after the wax is completely liquid. Make sure to stir the wax completely to ensure that the fragrances and dyes are completely mixed in.

Step Four: Preparing the Wax for Pouring
- After wax has been completely melted reduce the heat on the wax so that the wax cools to a temperature of 120 to 165°F. This will reduce cracking and discoloration of the wax after it has cooled.

Step Five: Pouring Candles
– Make sure that the container is at room or slightly warmer before pouring the wax into the container.
The wax should be poured in the container while the wax is 120 to 165°F
to reduce cracking and speed up the cure time of the wax. If wax is to be left in melter over night the wax should be stored at a temperature of 130 to 145°F.

Step Six: Curing of Candles
– The candle should be allowed to cool and cure for at least 12 hours before the candle is burned. This will allow the crystals of the wax completely form giving a nice finish to the candle.
HTH! :)

Thanks for the help, I am going to do some testing. I LOVE the cotton candy scent, That was going to be one of my signature scents I named it "Sweet Leticia" after my grandaughter.

I don't want to waste $$ if this is going to continue to be a problem. Do is everyone adding FO at over 150? I have been scared to do that out of fear of having a low throw.

I may need to adjust for this fragrance, if nyone has had dicoloring issues with FO's what ones are they and how did you fix the problem?

About the pic, I tryed to add it with no luck. Sorry.

Chantelle

Aroma du jour'

I don't mind the discoloration so I don't "fix" it. Some FO's go towards yellow, some orange, some brown'ish. It just adds character, in my opinion.

The only suggestion I would have is to add candle dye.

As far as adding FO, I add it at a much higher temp. But, I also use a soy/paraffin blend. I think that the FO needs to be added at a higher temp so that it can bind with the wax. It wouldn't hurt to try it on your next batch. What's the worst that could happen? Experimenting is fun.

the palm kernel is palm kernel flakes primarily used in soap making to make soap harder. never heard of it being added to a candle wax. just a waste imo. unless the fo is clear, no color it is going to discolor your candles. i always color my cotton candy candles pink. that will solve your discoloring problem or learn to live with it.