Fragrance Oils Chandlers Vs Soapers

bugtussle

I have been making candles for almost 6 yrs and have been making cp for about a year. My problem is the difference in FO throw between candles & soap. My soap feels good, bubbles and moisturizes great, but just doesn't smell as good as my candles. How fragrant should your soap be? I use 1 oz/# of oils and sometimes the scent is very light. After I bath with lavender or honey or etc, I want to smell the scent after I've towelled off. Am I using the wrong FOs or expecting too much? Carole

I think just some oils are more powerful than others in different applications. I've had FO that were so weak in soap, I actually went up to 1.2-1.5 oz. per lb. with no problems at all. Sometimes you gotta "break the rules" so to speak to achieve what you are striving for.

I guess it all depends on preference. Some people like lightly scented soap, because their sense of smell is sensitive. Others (like me and you) like strongly scented soap, the kind that lasts on you for a while after bathing or showering.

I don't think you're using the wrong FO... you'll just have to maybe up your amounts for a more strongly scented soap.

Soap is a wash off product therefore the scent of it will not remain as you are expecting. Sometimes if one is really strong you can get a hint for a few minutes. I would not use any FO above what the manufactorer recommends. The guide lines are so you do not get skin irritations, rashes, burns or toxic levels of the FO.

I think CBE is on to something here!...lol However, one of the reasons we have to have a stronger smelling bar of soap is, MAYBE, because of the dreaded candle nose! Face it, we are immune to the scent. People walk into my house and say..."OMG it smells so good in here"..I cant smell a thing.

I dont smell the scent of my soap sometimes too....but my co workers can smell it. I usually use one of my co workers as a tester.....I can always smell the soap on her...but not on myself.

I think our noses are shot!...lol

But, some FO's will fade in soap...just part of the chemical process breaking down the FO. I dont think you are using the wrong types of oils. Soaping oils can be hit or miss.

Very interesting replies, thks. What is the hard & fast rule for CP? 1 oz/# or a little more?

I think the biggest problem I have with CP is the fact that you have to let it air dry for 6 wks. How can you leave it open for that long and not loose some of the scent. After I make a candle, I cover it as soon as I can being very protective of the scent. I think it works; my candles retain a lot of scent.

I'm sure some of it is candlenose. I just can't smell the soap and when I use it, I want some of the scent to last. When I sell it, most of my customers love the soap but think it is light in scent. Maybe they have just burned too many of my candles.

Maybe it's hard to be a chandler 1st and a soaper 2nd. :confused: Carole

CP is the most harsh environment for FO. I tried a few candle oils, but essentially only buy "soaping" FO from suppliers that sell primarily B&B supplies. I use .8- 1 oz. pp. Never had any issues.

Since soap is a wash-off product, you might be able to smell the scent lingering on the skin, but nothing to write home about, IMO.

Wanting the scent to last is how us soapers move into B&B :P

Soap is a wash off product so we have to use the same FO in a lotion or body spray to ensure it sticks around longer. After leaving your soap to cure unwrapped the scent may be much lighter, but often it blooms again when the soap hits the water. I think soaping is as much about the visual appearance as it is the fragrance.

Just make you a body spray or lotion in your fav soap scent then it will stay with you for a while.

I use .7 to 1oz of oil pp soap. Most of my soaps are scented with SW scents and they stay for the long run....in the soap not on the body though.

tootie