Measuring FO's

I use a small measuring glass that looks like a shot glass with measurements on the side. You can get them for $1 and change at Wally World. Or you could put your fo in a dixie cup and weigh it. First you'd have to place your empty dixie cup on the scale and weigh it, then hit tare, then add your fo to get an accurate weight. Weighing your fo is definately more accurate as some fo's weigh more than others, but I usually just use the measuring glass and don't bother with the weighing of it, it seems to work out for me most of the time....unless it's a really heavy bakery or vanilla scent, then I'd weigh it.

I use a small measuring glass that looks like a shot glass with measurements on the side. You can get them for $1 and change at Wally World. Or you could put your fo in a dixie cup and weigh it. First you'd have to place your empty dixie cup on the scale and weigh it, then hit tare, then add your fo to get an accurate weight. Weighing your fo is definately more accurate as some fo's weigh more than others, but I usually just use the measuring glass and don't bother with the weighing of it, it seems to work out for me most of the time....unless it's a really heavy bakery or vanilla scent, then I'd weigh it.

What kind of scale do you use for weighing your wax? Where did you get it and (if you don't mind) what was the cost. Need to do everything in moderation right now

I got my scale at Office Max for about $30-$35.00...it's a postal scale and it's more accurate then the ones that you can get at Wally World. I trashed the one I got from there and kept the bowl and use it on my postal scale now. I know how expensive this hobby can be but some stuff you just can't skimp on. $30 is really not a lot for a good scale but if your money is tight right now...then any amount is too much...I know the feeling. If you can't get it right now, set money aside to get it later, you don't want to waste your hard earned money on a cheap scale that isn't accurate.

I just have a quick question. Do you all weigh your FO or just use fluid oz? I also use the little shot glass style for my FO's. When I first got started, was told to just measure out what I needed, but later on saw people weighed theirs..... just checkin to see which is correct... no matter what I use between 1 and 1.5oz PP... that is a given. Thanx

Weighing your FO is more accurate because some are heavier than others. ie vanillas tend to be much heavier and you would use less of a fluid measurement to get your ounce in weight. The molecules in the wax can only hold so much FO. When it reaches its maximum capacity, the rest of the FO just settles on the bottom of the pot. I hope this makes sense the way I explained it. This is what I was told by someone at Candles & Supplies.

I weigh mine the first time I use a new one, scent or supplier. I have a shot glass that 1 oz FO (most of them) is exactly 1/8" from full. Heavier ones are 1/4" from top. Lighter ones are full. I make notes of how much the fill. Then use the glass measurment after that.

You can certainly be more consistent by weighing because if you measure by volume you have to look at the lines on the measuring cup and do it by eye. Weighing is also more flexible because you can weigh any amount whereas fractions can get a little tricky with a measuring glass. Weighing also lets you think and communicate in terms of percentages, which is pretty common.

But do we really know that wax can hold a lower volume of a heavier (denser) fragrance oil? If that were true then weighing would be more "correct" but I'm not sure we know that.

Just wanted to add... I only use my shot glass to measure when doing 1 oz/ 1 lb at a time. The slight difference each time is negligible. In doing large batches, 5 or 10 lbs, always weigh. The slight difference would be compounded enough to make a whoopsie!

I always weigh mine. It is more accurate and since I already have the scale out, it's not really a hassle.

HI,,I do not have a digital scale I have one that weighs up to 7lbs I got from wal-mart,,,I use the Candle Cauldron's sheet that breaks it down.

what I want to know is,,I have oz's on this scale,,will this type of scale be accurate?? or should I invest in the digital one? TIA:confused:

This is the scale that I have:

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=106

This seller offers them (and many others) on ebay for much less than on their web site. I got mine for $40 and that included shipping and insurance. Ultraship scales are some of the most accurate you can get, plus they can be re-calibrated.