Which is 'better' IGI 4630 or Astorlite J223

Is there much difference between the two when you compare scent throw hot and cold, wicking, burn quality and appearance of your final product? I'm asking because they are said to be comparable (C&S statement) but they have a considerable price difference.

Lori

This is one of those questions that only YOU can answer.The people that use 4630 are going to say it's better-the people that use j223 are going to say it's better!That being said, I've tested both and prefer the 4630. I've been using it exclusively for 3yrs now.As for them being similar- I don't think they are-4630 is quite a bit softer, and I didn't get the same throw and was not able to use all the same wicks with both..I wasn't very impressed with the j223 at all.Remember, this is only MY opinion, and you'll get as many different opinions as there are users of these waxes.The best thing to do, is order a slab of each and test them! ;)

Maybe I should phrase it differently...Which do you like better, J223 or 4630? I have tried both and I'm curious about other's opinions, (guess I'm not trusting my own??) Hot scent throw is where I am uncertain... Wicking to me is tricky for both of them.

I get my was from C&S because they are relatively close to me but I'm not pleased with their J223 or the answers I get at times when I question their staff on things... I'm thinking that others opinions will help me out...maybe I should try another supplier. :undecided

Thanks!

Lori

This is one of those questions that only YOU can answer.The people that use 4630 are going to say it's better-the people that use j223 are going to say it's better!That being said, I've tested both and prefer the 4630. I've been using it exclusively for 3yrs now.As for them being similar- I don't think they are-4630 is quite a bit softer, and I didn't get the same throw and was not able to use all the same wicks with both..I wasn't very impressed with the j223 at all.Remember, this is only MY opinion, and you'll get as many different opinions as there are users of these waxes.The best thing to do, is order a slab of each and test them! ;)

Geesh, don't know what the heck happened here, but I swear there were paragraph breaks when I originally typed this-sorry! :undecided

Maybe I should phrase it differently...Which do you like better, J223 or 4630? I have tried both and I'm curious about other's opinions, (guess I'm not trusting my own??) Hot scent throw is where I am uncertain... Wicking to me is tricky for both of them.

I get my was from C&S because they are relatively close to me but I'm not pleased with their J223 or the answers I get at times when I question their staff on things... I'm thinking that others opinions will help me out...maybe I should try another supplier. :undecided

Thanks!

Lori

Well, I think *I* answered your question, didn't I? Like I said, it's going to be a matter of opinion.

Maybe you should make a list of pros and cons of both and see if that helps you make the decision between the two. ??

I tried J223 from C&S when I first started, then I switched to their blend called 1275. Until I got a funky batch (as did others), I was pleased with it. C&S' customer service and quality of "some" of their products caused me some concern. C&S' prices are high, I think you can do better searching Candlewic which is in PA also and Farm House. Not sure where you are located, but I can help direct you to other suppliers if you need that.

I'll throw in another mix to your question::D

I have tried 4630 and do not like it at all as it tends to sink too much and make a "not so pretty" candle....J223, never tried it. I use to use J50, but now use the replacement IGI-4636 and have great results with it! Hot and cold throw are very good!

IMO

Carrie

I agree with debscent.

Check out the wax that Candlewic sells. I've tested a whole case of their 50/50 wax (CBL130) and I love it. I was using KY Perfect Blend and adding a smal percentage of 50/50 to it. The last order of 4 cases of Perfect Blend had me pulling my hair out so I decided to test CW's 50/50 and this WILL be the wax that I'm going to use.

They also have their own paraffin container blend (CBL129) and I used to use this wax exclusively back in 2002. They have top notch customer service IMO and when I have any questions about products I email Chandler (Bill Binder) and he has helped me tremendously with wax and wick questions.

If you aren't too far from C&S then you can't be too far from Candlewic in Doylestown. I'm about 2 hours from Candlewic and I would love to do a road trip one of these days.

Maggie

I prefer J223 just based on the smell of the wax when its melted. 4630 seemed to have an odd smell. For my wax mix, J223 had the better cold and hot throw than 4630. Also seemed to color a little easier. HTH

Candlewic is cheaper than C&S on wax.

I have worked with 4630 for over a year now and just started testing J223. For me, the 4630 always has great hot and cold throw and looks great. My test J223 also has good throw with a few more wet spots but not enough for me to worry about. The 4630 does smoke more easily, and requires wicking down. My biggest problem with 4630 is that since I use a fairly small container (4 oz jelly jars), I can't find small enough wicks for it. If you are using larger containers, it might work for you. 4630 will catch up well so wick for the bottom of the jar. I have better luck with Peak's cottons and LX wicks, but for some scents HTP wicks are good too. As for J223, I have not quite got this one down yet but since I do have to wick up a bit from 4630, I'm hoping it will work out. HTH. Coconut

Thanks to all of you for your input. IT's so great to have so many people who are willing to shar thoughts/insight. I still haven't decided which to choose and stay with; (I may use one for certain fragrances and the other for different fragrances...??) although I have decided to change suppliers. I'm in Jersey so I will try candlewic. BTW, I just received an order from C&S, Lemongrass Sage...if there was sage in it, it was a drop from an eyedropper. Very disappointing!!

Thanks again,

Lori

• 6 months later...

You listed farmhouse as a supplier in PA but I can't seem to find them. Would happen to know their website? Or would you know any other suppliers in PA, NY, of NJ? I have looked up the suppliers by state but their wasn't any listed in the areas I chose. Plus some I did call on, they were more expensive to buy from that ordering from CS with the shipping. I deliver oversize loads on the north east coast so I am able to pick up supplies on my way.

Thanks to all of you for your input. IT's so great to have so many people who are willing to shar thoughts/insight. I still haven't decided which to choose and stay with; (I may use one for certain fragrances and the other for different fragrances...??) although I have decided to change suppliers. I'm in Jersey so I will try candlewic. BTW, I just received an order from C&S, Lemongrass Sage...if there was sage in it, it was a drop from an eyedropper. Very disappointing!!

Thanks again,

Lori

Sorry I dont know anything about the wax but wanted to let you know that Candlewic.com has a great lemongrass sage fo. It is my favorite. So if you place an order with them try it out.

Antonia

You listed farmhouse as a supplier in PA but I can't seem to find them. Would happen to know their website? Or would you know any other suppliers in PA, NY, of NJ? I have looked up the suppliers by state but their wasn't any listed in the areas I chose. Plus some I did call on, they were more expensive to buy from that ordering from CS with the shipping. I deliver oversize loads on the north east coast so I am able to pick up supplies on my way.

Farmhouse is in NJ . . .

http://www.candlesuppliesbyfarmhouse.com/

We started with J223, but didn't like the wet spots. I thought the hot and cold throw was very good, though.

We moved over to 4630. Definitely need to wick down, since it seems to smoke more, but this wax has worked well for us...LX wicks work well for us with this wax.

We do buy our wax from Candles and Supplies. We used to buy a lot of our scents from them, but we have weeded through the ones we don't like and buy those from different suppliers. It would just be too cost effective for us to be able to buy everything from one place...:laugh2: And even though that sounds like a good idea, you will find that you can't find everything you want in just one place....at least we couldn't.

C&S are very high on their wax prices. Did you try Candle Science...even with shipping they will probably be less than C&S.

Recently I received a bad batch of wax from another supplier and had to order from C&S. Their 50/50 wax is $25 more per case than my prior supplier. I bought enough to get me through the season, and will be retesting next year. But I will be ordering from Candlescience in the future.

C&S are very high on their wax prices. Did you try Candle Science...even with shipping they will probably be less than C&S.

Recently I received a bad batch of wax from another supplier and had to order from C&S. Their 50/50 wax is $25 more per case than my prior supplier. I bought enough to get me through the season, and will be retesting next year. But I will be ordering from Candlescience in the future.

We will definitely check that out. We picked up this order when we were there, so it was just more convenient and no shipping.

Thanks!