Salt Bars

Louise

I made my first two salt bar batches between last night and today and here's the pics. Both scented with Exotic Seabreeze.

The first batch I thought didn't trace enough but now I'm thinking maybe I just didn't stir enough to get all the salt suspended up in the soap mix. There was some in the bottom of my pot, so I just drizzled it all around once the soap was in the mold.

[ATTACH]15003[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15002[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15007[/ATTACH]

My second batch I decided to double my recipe to make the bars thicker so they'd be chunkier. Well, I waited too long to cut, and when I did, I ended up with lots of crumbles and bars with broken off chunks. So looks like I'm going to have to come up with some kind of clever name for this. Something rustic maybe. Maybe something like Seabreeze Salt Mine Chunks? I need some help with this ppwweeaasseee!

[ATTACH]15005[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15004[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15008[/ATTACH]

I wonder if there's a use for these crumbles.

post-9049-139458443677_thumb.jpg

post-9049-139458443679_thumb.jpg

post-9049-13945844368_thumb.jpg

post-9049-139458443682_thumb.jpg

post-9049-139458443683_thumb.jpg

post-9049-139458443684_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone. I realize these aren't fancy or "gourmet" looking bars, but I promised I would post them.

The first batch I did with a whisk and the second batch I used my SB )because my wrist was so sore from using the whisk the night before), alternating between stirring and pulsing.

Jbren, thanks, I will definately add the crumbles to another batch down the road.

Vio, I used a different method for each batch. The first one I put in the oven as per Grumpy Girl's tutorial. And I cut them about 15 minutes after they were out. They were very easy to cut. The second one, I didn't put it in the oven, but I also didn't wait until the lye and oils were at RT, but instead, combined them at about 95F. Which I shouldn't have done because it moved really fast on me, when I drew off soap for the colors. So hopefully the next batch will be the happy medium.

Ahhhhh. :)

I like the first one too. The less chunkiness looks really cool with the swirls. The second one I love the swirls. The first one was a beautiful swirl, but the second looks like painting swirls or something. They're totally cool looking! :)

I like the swirls on the first one better too. I had doubled my recipe for the second batch and it filled my mold right to the top, so it was touching the lid in places. Also, the second batch was so thick there was more glopping than pouring.

Woo hoo!!! Look at that! Salt bars! I love em! The crumbly ones...you could add to another batch like suggested or if you make salt scrubs, you could grind them up and add them to that. Just a thought.

Loving the colors BTW...very vibrant.....or were :D . What are they?

Hugs,

Donna

Angel, ooooo, good idea about the salt scrubs, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. (And yes, next time I'll cut them sooner, promise lol). The colors were Ultramarine Blue and Chromium Green Oxide. Now I'm totally out of the green and not too far behind on the blue. I'd best get to ordering more.

Scented, when I used the whisk, and finally got to what I thought was a light trace, I then poured off for my colors and mixed them up, then went back to my pot and whisked, whisked, whisked to get more salt up into the mix. When I then looked at my color cups, the soap was definately getting thicker just sitting there, so figured I'd better get pouring. Gotta find that fine line, ugh.