Question about FO %

I am fairly new to candle making. Right now I am only using CBAdvance. But as great as this wax is... I am getting no scent throw. I have one solution I am going to try which adding coconut oil.... but the other I was wondering was... I was using 10% Fo then decided to go down to 8%. The reason I went down to that is because when I told someone in another board that I was using 10% they said that was too much. I will admit I was getting better results with the 10%.

So my question to my fellow soy candle makers is... do you just automatically use 10% or do smaller amounts work with you?

I use no more than 1 ounce per pound of wax. If the FO won't throw with that amount, I either try the same FO from a different supplier, or I discard it (it's not like there isn't a WORLD of FOs out there...). I think using such high percentages is a waste of money and chances are, the problem lies with the wax or wicks and not with the FO amount itself. If I had a lot of problems with a wax not throwing well unless I used a lot of FO, I would test another brand. JMO... :wink2:

Have you thoroughly read and followed the CB instructions at the link below?

http://www.ngiwax.com/cb-instructions

Wicking, wax and FO all have a role to play in making a scented candle that throws well.

Thank you Stella. That was so much help! I was only letting these sit for 24 hours, sometimes not even that. Maybe that was my problem. I appreciate the help. It's hard for me not to test them right after I make them but I guess I have to now. Maybe I'll pick my nose or something to pass the time and get my mind of the candle! Just kidding. :D

I have found with CBA... the longer the cure the better. I have some I made in December and they rock. Now I know you don't want to have to wait forever for a great HT, but it does seem to be a wax that does "best" with a longer cure time.

Next time you make a tester, make an extra to set aside. Give it a week then pull it out and fire that baby up! I bet you will smell a noticable difference.

I agree with Stella... if you need over an ounce pp... it really isn't worth it.

What wicks are you using with the CBA?

I am having trouble with this wax too FlameyJamie but I read in researched posts that a lot of people use coconut oil to enhance the scent throw. I am thinking about trying that. i was using 10% too but my candles sweated out the oil and still don't get a good HT. So today marks a new day. I am going down to 6%, 7% at the most. So I am passing on some good advice.... Take your fragrance down. I know it is hard to let a candle cure. I have absolutely no patience and especially when I get a new scent it's hard not to light them but in the end it's worth it. When I light them too soon I don't get good results and get discouraged. You'll save yourself a lot of hell and hardship if you wait. HTH

Maybe I'll pick my nose or something to pass the time and get my mind of the candle!

Speaking of noses...:wink2: Is it possible that you have a case of "candle nose"? Happens to me after I have been pouring all dang day and the house smells like a perfumery...:undecided

I am also testing this wax. I finally got a good throw with a scent called viva la vanilla after curing for 4 days. I didn't know about the curing thing for a while either so don't feel like your the only one;)I'm not sure how I feel about this wax yet. It looks beautiful and burns really well, but the scent throw is not there. I am curious to learn your results with the coconut oil. Maybe I'll try that, I've also heard that stearic acid can help with scent throw. I also tried the Ecosoya Pure and that seemed to throw a bit better, and had a stronger cold throw, but still not anything to ooooh and aaaah over. Maybe I have that candle nose also, but my hubby says all he smells is wax. I am trying the ecosoya 135 next, then onto the Cargill waxes.

Good Luck and let me know how things turn out for you!!

Blessings:D

I used CBA until the price + shipping became outrageous. I went back to my notes and found I got the best results by heating only to 165, adding 6% fo around 150 and pouring around 110. This will vary with your climate, but gives you a general idea. I found the same to be true with cure time...the longer the better the HT.