3 wick pillars - which wicks??

Trish

I'm having a heck of a time getting these things wicked right. I get a good burn with 18ply FB, but only if I "babysit" it while it works on the opening melt pool.

I prewick the mold and since the wick is not primed, and the mold has those little concave areas around the wicks, the wicks tends to drown out before there's a melt pool.

Has anyone tried anything other than FB that works with these? I'm losing my mind!!

I prewick the mold and since the wick is not primed, and the mold has those little concave areas around the wicks, the wicks tends to drown out before there's a melt pool.

Has anyone tried anything other than FB that works with these? I'm losing my mind!!

sounds like you need to do a bit of a repour to fill the sunken area or possible even it out with the heatgun.

Then that ruins the look.

Lemme guess, going up to a 20 is too much?

I actually don't have 20, just 18 and 24. Hmmm....

Beth, I hate those little spots in the mold. All my three wickers have them but they sure make it a bitch to wick! I've tried leaving the wicks long too but it doesn't always seem to work. I thought maybe I needed to try LX or HTP or something??

I think a larger wick might help you out. It will consume more in that beginning stage and keep those little dips from filling up (and drowning), and allow for a more typical melt pool to form across all three wicks.

Good point Beth (and Scented), I'll try that. I know I had tested 24's before and wasn't thrilled but it's worth another shot (leaving the wick longer). I'm about to give up...and stick with the 3" diameters, the 4" ones are a bitch too. LOL

Possibly try priming the wick and leaving it a tad longer. Without the wax on the wick, the extra wick would just burn off.

Mine has the concaves around the holes too. Hmm.. maybe I should hush since I never did get it wicked right :laugh2: I was trying the 24 ply flat, but it would invariably melt the outside wall of each melt pool before the center melted. I got tired of playing in the wax to pull the wicks more in the center every time I lit it :undecided

This may be a little off topic...

But I was told, by a supplier, to watch the amount of FO you put into a multiple wick candle because of the flash point...

Anyone heard this?

I can't see what difference it would make. The flash point of a FO changes when it's mixed into the wax. Unless you severely overload the wax and have pure FO that's bled out... even then, it would be dangerous with even one wick. A fire is a fire....

Maybe someone else has some idea about this?