Cool soy fracture

I was testing/comparing various soy waxes this weekend and I wanted to pour an EcoSoya-CBA2 tin with the minimum amount of stearic necessary to prevent cracking during setup. I guess 1% isn't enough. What's cool is the way it cracked in a perfect circle. Never saw that before.

(Sorry this isn't perfectly clear but didn't feel like messing with the tripod or flash.)

post-710-139458384067_thumb.jpg

when i used the ecosoya vb, that was the exact same kind of crack i got, a round circle. I had to pour at the lowest temp possible to get it not to crack.
Did you ever try the stearic trick to see if it works with VB? Once you put 2% or so in the CBA2 it doesn't do this anymore. I thought maybe 1% would work but it didn't.

That is exactly what the CB-3 Calsoy does for me. However, it does it more when I make my wickless testers than when I adhere the wicks for final candles.

I will say that since I have been more careful about it not heating above 170 I am having better results -- does not seem to have that problem as much. I would have to test more to make sure.

So, if I already use a veggie modifier, should I try to add stearic too, to help with this problem or just add stearic? Is stearic the answer other than watching heating temp?

Thanks.

~Holly

So, if I already use a veggie modifier, should I try to add stearic too, to help with this problem or just add stearic? Is stearic the answer other than watching heating temp?
Holly, I don't know but if you're still having the problem it might be worth the experiment. There was a thread a while back specifically about fixing this problem with 2% stearic in the newer version of CBA. HenryK gave it a good test and confirmed it works like a charm, then later I tried it and got the same results. I don't recall reading about anyone trying it on a similar problem with a different wax, and personally I don't have any waxes on hand that do quite the same thing.

Holly, I don't know but if you're still having the problem it might be worth the experiment. There was a thread a while back specifically about fixing this problem with 2% stearic in the newer version of CBA. HenryK gave it a good test and confirmed it works like a charm, then later I tried it and got the same results. I don't recall reading anyone trying it to fix a similar problem with a different wax, and personally I don't have any waxes on hand that do quite the same thing.

Thanks Top. I remember that thread. I have been fixing the problem with the handy dandy heat gun and lately I have had better luck watching how hot I heat it too. I have so many scents tested without stearic that I dread testing them all again with it, so I have kinda put the stearic test on the back burner. I know that I can test a few to see if it works, but if it does I have to retest all the others to make sure on the wicking, unless it is not suppose to affect wick size.

I am going to run the test. Does stearic help in smoothing the tops? If it does I will run the test with just the stearic. If it does not, I will use both the veggie modifier and stearic. :)

I know that I can test a few to see if it works, but if it does I have to retest all the others to make sure on the wicking, unless it is not suppose to affect wick size.

I am going to run the test. Does stearic help in smoothing the tops? If it does I will run the test with just the stearic. If it does not, I will use both the veggie modifier and stearic. :)

People say that 2% won't affect the wicking. I haven't done enough testing to confirm that, but it's very plausible. 2% wouldn't affect the burn much in paraffin and maybe even less in soy.

I've mixed some stearic into a few other soy waxes to see if it would make a visible difference and in smallish amounts it really doesn't seem to. I'd say it probably doesn't help with getting a smooth top.

I have had that same thing happen with S1 and MC soy when using no additives. I tried stearic once at 1/4 tsp/lb and poured at ab 125, no circular cracking but had rough tops. I since have abandoned stearic for BW at 3% and pouring cloudy. I have developed a way to cool the wax a little faster as I stir, so the wait is not so long. Smooooth tops! HTH :grin2: