Dark flecks within wax

Hello Everyone :smiley2:

I made some tarts this weekend with Ecosoya-PB - everything came out great except that there were little specks of darker color on the underside of the tart. I added dye at 165 degrees and stirred frequently until I added FO at 130 degrees and poured at 125 degrees.

Has anyone had this happen to them with candles, tarts, etc when using PB and dye chips? If so, are there any suggestions for what I can do next time so this doesn't happen again?

Thanks,

Faith

I used to get that all the time when I was making tarts with the ecosoya PB wax. But I changed to liquid dyes and have never had a problem with it anymore. Try heating to 170 or 175 adding the chip and sturr the crap out of it. Or you can premelt the chip and add it to your wax. Regina :D

Thanks for the response. I'm new to candle making and it's only the second dye I've tried. The last dye chip worked great - no flecks, but then again, it was a much lighter dye. I'll try adding the chips at a higher temp as you suggested and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

I would have the same thing happen with my container candles. I found that by heating my higher than what I was doing got rid of the problem. I wasn't heating the wax to the temp that was recommended and that's when I would get the spots of color.

Kim

I use liquid dyes from thecandlemakersstore.com they are wonderful!!! They don't have any smell and never clog my wicks when using them in containers.

I highly recommend them, plus you won't use near as much color with the liquid and you can measure for exact color each bath!

BLESSINGS

I use liquid dyes from thecandlemakersstore.com they are wonderful!!! They don't have any smell and never clog my wicks when using them in containers.

I highly recommend them, plus you won't use near as much color with the liquid and you can measure for exact color each bath!

BLESSINGS

Thanks for the input on liquid dyes. I was actually starting to dig around for liquid versus using the dye chips. I'll definitely check out the link you provided. :smiley2:

I had the same thing happen as well. The only thing about switching to liquid dyes is that I found that you will get more frosting. You have to weigh your flaws so to speak..I chose the specks. I just broke up the color a bit finer before I put it into the pot. Cut down a bit on the specks.