Help!!

okay. so last weekend i posted about how to make my candles give that awesome scent throw. i am using 4625, 24 ply flat braid wick, pillar candle (3 x 6.5 round), all from Peak. the scent is the French Vanilla. i added FO at 175 degrees then poured. i used 1 oz of FO to 1 lb of wax. i let the candle cure for 6 days. the scent is extremely light. could it be the FO or am i doing something wrong??

You may want to experiment with other wick types. I have a vanilla blend tester going now and it's wicked with an Eco wick and I'm getting a really nice throw. I bounce back & forth between flat braids, cotton core and the Eco wicks. One FO wicked with a CC had a nice burn but weak throw - swapped it out for an Eco and there was a huge difference in the throw. Have another FO that I was about to give up on and decided to try one more wick - that one did the trick which really made my day cause I love the scent so much.

You will find as you test, some FOs do not give that in-your-face throw that so many people expect from ever scent they pour.

i'm pretty new to this whole candle making thing. Eco wicks??

there are a ton of different wicks on the market...so many that I can't name them all. Some that I use are flat braid, square braid, HTP, Eco, LXs & cotton cores. Search for posts that talk about your type of wax and see what others are using, then go to some supplier's websites and read up on their description/properties. Example: I like the cotton cores cause they have very little curl, I use Eco sometimes cause they give a better throw with some FOs but have more curl, etc, etc.

http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Wicks.aspx

http://www.candlewic.com/candle-wicks/pop-spools.asp

http://www.rusticescentuals.com/wickchart.html

You should try other fragrances,

The fragrance throw comes from the surface of the molten pool. A pillar candle is not the best way because the pool has to be kept small or the pillar will gutter and melt down into a pile of wax.

A poured candle into a glass container with the correct wick is the best way to check fragrance throw. A lot of petrolatum may help but it can not be used at a high level in a pillar.

You should try other fragrances,

The fragrance throw comes from the surface of the molten pool. A pillar candle is not the best way because the pool has to be kept small or the pillar will gutter and melt down into a pile of wax.

A poured candle into a glass container with the correct wick is the best way to check fragrance throw. A lot of petrolatum may help but it can not be used at a high level in a pillar.

If a pillar is properly wicked with a quality FO, it can have a great throw and not blowout. El_Roach_O did ask for help wicking a pillar.

ERO: do you have another FO that you can try?

French vanilla is one of the lighter vanilla fragrances, IMO. This is where sampling a variety of scents from a variety of suppliers can help a lot. One supplier's French Vanilla may be quite light while another's version of it might fill a mansion!

I get the same great throw from pillars as I do from containers. A 3" melt pool is a 3" melt pool. :wink2: If the candle isn't wicked properly, then the FO used won't really matter 'cause the wicking isn't right.:wink2::)