Ouch...

theoldehearth

I just came across this, both companies had recalls on their candles in January. One obviously a large company that had their candles made in Hong Kong and can afford to do this but the other is a much smaller company that will be greatly affected to the point of halting any orders while they try to remedy the situation.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/recalls/2008/01/pottery_barn_wick_petal_candle.html

I have never worked with palm, but do with soy. I have seen some big swings in lots over the years. Twice I have gotten lots where I had to wick up two sizes on some of my heavier oils. The next lot usually goes back down to my normal wicking. I have always thought that if someone was testing with a "bugger" batch of wax it would be dangerous in the long run. They would use the bugger batch to test and get their wicking down and think that was how it would be forever, not knowing about the possible swings in wax lots. Then, if their next batch of wax is "normal", and they used the wicking they formulated with their testing, it would be way over wicked. Over wicking one of my jars with wicks two sizes too big would make some big 'ole flames...I could totally see "minor damage" being done. I just think it is so important for soy wax sellers to educate their customers about the possible changes in waxes. Many put a notice on their site, but many still don't.