Pink Sugar FO in Soy- A question

I've just recently started making small candles using Millcreek's Soy 125 and her Pink Sugar FO and Fresh Fruit Slices FO at the ratio of 1oz per pound of wax. However, my friend who is acting as a tester indicated that the PS/FFS FO combination did not have a consistent hot throw--at times she could smell it just fine and at other times not at all, and her BF said the same thing. Any suggestions?

it depends how she is testing the candle. In order to get a good test throw, a candle must be burned for at least an hour in order to reach a deep enough melt pool in order for a good amount of fragrance oil to release from the wax. If she is just burning the candle for 20min and judging the scent throw based off that, then she is not testing it properly.

Yep! That's right Carrie! I am a power burner anyhow..but I always make sure I am going to be home at least 4-5 hours before I even light up a candle.Whatever inch diameter of the jar is how long you are supposed to burn your candle,everytime.So,if your jar has a 4" diameter=4hours,this also allows the candle to burn even.

If you still have problems and you don't think it's the burn it could be your wicks.What kind do you use,what jar is it?

Kimmeroo

When you are burning a candle and sitting in the same room, you can actually become 'immune' to the scent and not smell anything after awhile. If you walk out of the room, then back in a few minutes later, you should/will smell it again. I test burn a lot of my candles here in my office at work and I don't smell a thing after a bit. But, when someone comes into my office, they will comment on how great 'whatever' smells. I always keep some fresh coffee grounds around to whiff, to refresh my sniffer when I can't smell my candle burning. :cool2:

My understanding was that she burned the candle for at least 3 hours, possibly a bit longer. The jar is rather smallish, about 3" tall and 2.5--3" wide and the wick is HP 105. However, she DID say there was quite a bit of residue on the sides so the wick may, in fact, be too small. The other candle she tested for me in an identical container with the same wick had a great HT with consistency every time she lit it but it was not a Millcreek FO. Well, I guess that's why it's called testing, eh? Hey, thanks so much for the information.

I agree with ChrisR. I test burn in my kitchen which is part of a large open area of our home. A lot of times I can't smell the burning candle in the kitchen but I can smell it everywhere else plus the scent will go into the hall and up the steps to our 2nd floor.

Also...I have noticed IF there is a draft and the flame flickers there is a really strong throw. Is it possible that where she is burning the candle every so often the flame flickers?

I'd ask to see the candle to check how much wax is left on the sides and how far down she has burned the candle.

Maggie

I agree with ChrisR. I test burn in my kitchen which is part of a large open area of our home. A lot of times I can't smell the burning candle in the kitchen but I can smell it everywhere else plus the scent will go into the hall and up the steps to our 2nd floor.

Also...I have noticed IF there is a draft and the flame flickers there is a really strong throw. Is it possible that where she is burning the candle every so often the flame flickers?

I'd ask to see the candle to check how much wax is left on the sides and how far down she has burned the candle.

Maggie

I did ask about the possibility of a draft and she said no there wasn't anything like that. I'll have her bring the container back so I can have a look at it.

The ones I have tested I test in my bathroom which is a fairly large space (it will cause the least amount of trouble in the bathroom as we have cats). I have noticed that sometimes I can smell the candle in my bedroom much better than in the bathroom. Thought it was just me. :rolleyes2

OK, on to the next phase, whatever that night be. Again, thanks for your help with this.

Is she burning the candle in the same place every time?

The ones I have tested I test in my bathroom which is a fairly large space (it will cause the least amount of trouble in the bathroom as we have cats). I have noticed that sometimes I can smell the candle in my bedroom much better than in the bathroom. Thought it was just me.

Placement is big! My master bath (medium size) does weird things like this too! Sometimes I can smell the scent better when I am in the shower! WEIRD! Guess it is how the draft is. My vents are in the floor and others have vents in the ceiling. But of course we can not account for every single condition!:shocked2:

Is she burning the candle in the same place every time?

Placement is big! My master bath (medium size) does weird things like this too! Sometimes I can smell the scent better when I am in the shower! WEIRD! Guess it is how the draft is. My vents are in the floor and others have vents in the ceiling. But of course we can not account for every single condition!:shocked2:

This is true. In my other house if I put a candle in the living room...I couldn't smell it in there but could smell it in all bedrooms and the basement.