464 and CD Wicks: My initial report...

After several months of sincere sorrow :shocked2: trying to single wick a variety of soy waxes in a straight sided glass cylinder jar measuring 3.3" in diameter, I have come to the conclusion that Kristi has found the solution.

I have been using a CD 20 with 464 and have had very impressive results. There is a full melt pool by the second burn on difficult fragrances and with the first on easier to wick scents. It's actually surprisingly simple. No additives or special treatment. It can be poured very hot or slushy, your choice. My results have both been good.

Concerning the wick itself, if it is kept trimmed nicely I don't detect any curl at all and minimum with partial trims. A huge improvement from a HTPs. et al.

Addendum:

We don't use color at all and add fragrance at about 8%.

There is a slight residue left from the wax on the glass, however, it is minimal and of no consequence for our purposes. Similar to what you see in the photographs left by Kristi (http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66750&highlight=464).

Mushrooming is there but minimal w/ most scents.

Glass does NOT become too hot.

Tops smooth if cooled correctly. (Consistent temp.)

In conclusion, I humbly bow to my new hero in the candle industry Kristi!:highfive:

Congratulations, :yay: Nice when things work out right.

Also testing the 464 (just comparing it to the C3 I use now for my soy line), and got great advice for a wick for my square mason jar from Kristi and it is working well also.

This wax sure is easy to work with and cures very fast, throwing well in 48 hours.

Another :thumbsup: to Kristi!!! (logcabinmomma) for the help.

CS has it.

Have you seen the supplier by state link? If you haven't, it's really helpful to find suppliers close to you. It's in a sticky at the top of the general candle forum.

Yes thanks I have seen the link, I just didnt want to go throught all the links to find out which place has it. Thank for the info I will check them out and see how shipping is because I really want to find another soy wax, not really liking the soy 125 from candlewic.com that I have and I have 50 lbs of it.

Kigers, what wick was suggested for the 8oz square mason? I also use C3 and I am looking for a different wick to test.:cheesy2:

I use 444 at the time..but have noticed in just about every soy wax I've used I can wick the 8oz. mason with a CD 14.I usually start w/a 12 but have noticed that I have to wick up to a 14 in most scents anyhow.HTH! a little.

Kimmeroo:cheesy2:

Important note:

The wick must be DEAD CENTER. Burned one today and there was some hang-up on one side. :sad2: That's when I noticed the wick was not directly centered.

Interesting....means we have the PERFECT wick. Just right.

Sigh...sure feels good!:cheesy2:

Guest Candelishis

I recently started testing with some CD's and LX's I got from the classifieds on here, and I really like both in the 464. The LX's seem to work better on my bigger candles. Really like both though. I get my 464 from Gateway Food Products, they're local and cheap, so even with shipping, I only pay about $1.02 a pound.

Kigers, what wick was suggested for the 8oz square mason? I also use C3 and I am looking for a different wick to test.:cheesy2:

For the 464, a CD 10 (perfect so far) waiting for my CDN 10's to get here to compare (normally use CDN's). This wax has a lower melt point than the C3. Tried a CDN 14 like I use in the C3 and it got way to hot in the bottom half of the jar.

For the C3 I use either a CDN 14 or HTP 105, never anything else. The HTP 105 is a little hotter than the CDN 14.

Get my 464 and C3 from CS also, they are GREAT!!!! :yay:

sooo excited...just got my sample pack of cd wicks from candles and supplies this afternoon. Have tried the htp's and lx's, and found mushrooming )lx's) and big curls/quick burn time (htp's) so I'm hoping the cd's will work for me. Also got some gb444 and c-1 to try... shipping was more than the cost for 20 lbs, but if the wax works... I'm paying $91 here for 50lbs of ecosoya anyways, and so far haven't found the majic formula for cba... but will certainly continue to try!!